AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy this Craigslist setup?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Should I buy this Craigslist setup?

Quote Originally Posted by alron2 View Post
    Pretty easy to repair with 1 inch X 1/8 strip of aluminum , screws & nuts plus epoxy.

Ron
    Yup, and this is a glass aquarium so you can simply add a glass strip as a brace. This presents an opportunity to lower the price further

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by alron2 View Post
    Pretty easy to repair with 1 inch X 1/8 strip of aluminum , screws & nuts plus epoxy.

Ron
    That's cool to be able to fix stuff like that. Saves a lot of money.

Registered Member

Just throwing this out there, but I bet that first glass tank is 15-20 years old. I seem to remember seeing a few new one's like that about then. So I'd reseal the silicone before use, personally. Though the price has a lot of new equipment to go with it.

Also Petco's around here have the 50 and 75 gallon tanks either a dollar a gallon or 50% (can't remember) through February, which are great quarantine/holding size.
    Cheers,
    DC

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by DC Discus View Post
    Just throwing this out there, but I bet that first glass tank is 15-20 years old. I seem to remember seeing a few new one's like that about then. So I'd reseal the silicone before use, personally. Though the price has a lot of new equipment to go with it.

Also Petco's around here have the 50 and 75 gallon tanks either a dollar a gallon or 50% (can't remember) through February, which are great quarantine/holding size.
    Cheers,
    DC
    Thank you DC Discus.

I don't trust myself to re-silicone an aquarium or brace it properly so I'm not going with that tank. I worry if I do it wrong all my fish could die and my husband says if any of the tanks leak badly ALL of them have to go. We're going tomorrow to get the 100 gallon sea-clear, the second tank link I shared. The owner says everything works and there aren't any leaks. Hopefully he's right.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    Thank you DC Discus.

I don't trust myself to re-silicone an aquarium or brace it properly so I'm not going with that tank. I worry if I do it wrong all my fish could die and my husband says if any of the tanks leak badly ALL of them have to go. We're going tomorrow to get the 100 gallon sea-clear, the second tank link I shared. The owner says everything works and there aren't any leaks. Hopefully he's right.
    If it were me I would want the tank full prior to arrival to see for myself
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    If it were me I would want the tank full prior to arrival to see for myself
    Thank you Ryan. That's a good idea.

Real Name
    Heidi

Thank you again for the suggestion Ryan. He said he's going to fill up both of tank and sump. I can hardly wait to have a year-long quarantine set up! I'm so scared to mix fish again though even with proper quarantine

Thank you again for the suggestion Ryan. He said he's going to fill up both of tank and sump. I can hardly wait to have a year-long quarantine set up! I'm so scared to mix fish again though even with proper quarantine
    Better safe than sorry you will be happy you did. Picked up my new stand today. Once I get it refinished I will FINALLY be able to get my sump running
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Did you end up going through with this purchase? Very unusual tank but looks like a good deal....even all the way from over here... Good luck!
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Heidi

Hi Joe! Thank you! It's such a good deal but I decided on this one instead. The owner lowered the price. We pick it up tomorrow. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sg...450720651.html

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Looks like a safer option and still a good deal...hope it all works out the way you intended it to
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Heidi

Thank you Joe!

Actually I don't like the way it looks. It will be a QT tank in my basement though so that's ok.
    If you are just looking for a QT tank, what about something like this:https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sg...465233207.html Resell the FX5 for $100 and you have a nice $200 tank......

IMHO, acrylic tanks are usually priced lower in the LA area than the midwest.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
    If you are just looking for a QT tank, what about something like this:https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sg...465233207.html Resell the FX5 for $100 and you have a nice $200 tank......

IMHO, acrylic tanks are usually priced lower in the LA area than the midwest.
    Thank you Craig. That's a great price! We're already part way to pickup the new tank though. I like that it's all setup with a sump and ready to go. Last time I did my own build it took so long to setup.

I agree LA is a good place to find an aquarium. In our area people price aquariums same price or more than new even though they are old and or leak. I bought 2 tanks local from Craigslist both leaked and cost too much. Then we got our 500gal tank near Redondo Beach over 2 years ago hasn't leaked, great price too.

I see that the Craigslist ad is gone and I'll assume you have a new tank. Congratulations and we need an update when you are done setting things up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast