AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Traveling with your discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Navarro A. E.

Default Traveling with your discus

I am going to visit my son in Concord Ca. in April which is next to Daley City so I am thinking about visiting Kenny’s Discus while I’m out there. What I’d like to know is it possible to check a box with discus as one of the two pieces of luggage on a commercial airline and has any of y’all traveled this way before ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul M. Kaplowitz

Default Re: Traveling with your discus

First thing I'd do is call the airline your using and ask them. Second, depending on how many your buying, Kenny might be able to give you a box that will fit in the overhead and you can carry it on. My kids live in SF, and I'm plaining on visiting them in May. I'm going to call Kenny and go and see him. I bought 10 Discus from him last April and they're beautiful.

Real Name
    Willie

You won't be able to carry on liquids anymore, so the fish will have to go in as checked baggage. Rules for checking in live fish varies by airline. My experience is that the agent representative has no idea what their rules are and sometimes make up stuff on the spot. Even if they say its okay, you may be refused when checking in with a different agent. I suggest you get on their website and search for pet check-ins. If you can find a supporting statement, print it out and bring it with you to check in.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Steve

When I took a fish to the NADA convention last time, the airline (Alaska?) accepted it as a small pet kennel for an extra charge. I had called and made this part of my reservation in advance. When I picked up the box after the last flight, I could tell TSA had opened my box (TSA tape all over it). Everything was fine though. If you're going to see Kenny, I'd just pick out the fish and let him ship them to arrive after you return home.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Navarro A. E.

Thanks to you all for giving me some really great ideas. I know a lot has changed and traveling by airlines has become tough . I know it’s all for our safety and I can’t argue with that . I really miss the days when I worked for Eastern Airline as Archie & Edith use to say Those Were the Day. I’ll check with a few of the airlines to see what the rules and if I fine the one which the rules that I can work with I’ll use that one if not like RogueDiscus said maybe just see if I can choose the ones I want to buy and let Kenny ship them to me after I get home. That I can still enjoy choosing the I want so either way I will still win.