discustoday.info     Aquatic foods

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: Stand finishes

  1. #16
    Homesteader fishbubbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    152
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Kevin

    Default Re: Stand finishes

    Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    You are welcome Ryan, this is how I protect my stands from water etc. It should be pretty easy to find. Ask for it. Another suggestion is to line the inside of your stand with a shower liner and have the edge go up the interior wall about 2 inches. A sump, canister would sit inside the liner. I do this for my two large tanks. You can also add a water alarm to sit inside the liner.
    Pat
    I believe that every tank should have water alarms and liners in the stands. I had a sheet metal shop build a drain pan for the interior of my stand with 3 water alarms in it. One of them is even Wi-FI so it lets me know if it detects water and sends an alert to my phone.

  2. #17
    Registered Member Jack L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    1,765
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Stand finishes

    Quote Originally Posted by fishbubbles View Post
    I believe that every tank should have water alarms and liners in the stands. I had a sheet metal shop build a drain pan for the interior of my stand with 3 water alarms in it. One of them is even Wi-FI so it lets me know if it detects water and sends an alert to my phone.
    I have water alarm and it sits on paper towel to extend the reach. The metal liner, shock hazard?
    And how big did you make it? There is no way it could hold all the tank water right?

    What WiFi alarm did you go with?

    Thanks

  3. #18
    Homesteader fishbubbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    152
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Kevin

    Default Re: Stand finishes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    I have water alarm and it sits on paper towel to extend the reach. The metal liner, shock hazard?
    And how big did you make it? There is no way it could hold all the tank water right?

    What WiFi alarm did you go with?

    Thanks
    I made the pan just barely smaller than the interior of my stand and it has 2 inch tall sides. It will not hold all of the tank water but it will hold enough to alert me if any of my fittings develop a leak or if my sump overflows till the point of my overflows weir height. It has already saved me a few times. The metal doesn't touch anything electrical of course, all my surge protectors are mounted to a 2 x 4 inside of the stand.
    The Wi-Fi alarm that I use is a Honeywell lyric water/freeze detector.

  4. #19
    Registered Member Jack L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    1,765
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Stand finishes

    Quote Originally Posted by fishbubbles View Post
    I made the pan just barely smaller than the interior of my stand and it has 2 inch tall sides. It will not hold all of the tank water but it will hold enough to alert me if any of my fittings develop a leak or if my sump overflows till the point of my overflows weir height. It has already saved me a few times. The metal doesn't touch anything electrical of course, all my surge protectors are mounted to a 2 x 4 inside of the stand.
    The Wi-Fi alarm that I use is a Honeywell lyric water/freeze detector.
    thanks!
    i have cords the base of my sump, and in theory the breaker would trip...but i might be tempted to try acrylic.
    in hindsight, it would have been at least good to poly and caulk the bottom part of the cabinet.

    the sump overflow during a WC...that can be tricky!

  5. #20
    Registered Member Ryan925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    SF bay area
    Posts
    2,914
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Stand finishes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    thanks!
    i have cords the base of my sump, and in theory the breaker would trip...but i might be tempted to try acrylic.
    in hindsight, it would have been at least good to poly and caulk the bottom part of the cabinet.

    the sump overflow during a WC...that can be tricky!
    Breakers don't always trip quickly enough. Gfci is always better or if you don't have that option a gfci breaker is a good solution
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

  6. #21
    Silver Member Jenene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,133
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default Re: Stand finishes

    Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    You are welcome Ryan, this is how I protect my stands from water etc. It should be pretty easy to find. Ask for it. Another suggestion is to line the inside of your stand with a shower liner and have the edge go up the interior wall about 2 inches. A sump, canister would sit inside the liner. I do this for my two large tanks. You can also add a water alarm to sit inside the liner.
    Pat
    That is a great idea Pat... would have saved me from many angry husband rants after my myriad of flooding episodes. I've lost count of them actually...
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

  7. #22
    Silver Member Jenene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,133
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default Re: Stand finishes

    That look awesome Ryan! I actually have a master bath with the same granite top. It has a white cabinet. I think the dark looks much better. Looks like I have a project to do on the next school break this month! Thanks for that! I'll send you a before and after pic.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

  8. #23
    Registered Member Ryan925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    SF bay area
    Posts
    2,914
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Stand finishes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    That look awesome Ryan! I actually have a master bath with the same granite top. It has a white cabinet. I think the dark looks much better. Looks like I have a project to do on the next school break this month! Thanks for that! I'll send you a before and after pic.
    It's so simple and comes out amazing for $80. You just buy the kit then take it to paint department and choose your color and they mix it
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

  9. #24
    Silver Member Jenene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,133
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default Re: Stand finishes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    It's so simple and comes out amazing for $80. You just buy the kit then take it to paint department and choose your color and they mix it
    You did a great job with it Ryan. I think it looks like something I could actually do... maybe...
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

  10. #25
    Registered Member Ryan925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    SF bay area
    Posts
    2,914
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Stand finishes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    You did a great job with it Ryan. I think it looks like something I could actually do... maybe...
    You want it Lol? Next step in this process is I'm selling it lol. When I talked to the guy he told me the stand was 48x18 which fits my tank but unfortunately it's just ever so slightly to small to fit my sump. Oh well at least I got it for a hell of a deal. Back to the stand build. Now that we have beautiful mid 70s weather for a couple weeks should give me the time I need to finish my build and get my tank drilled and ready to go. Got my super sweet baffle kit also so will rebuild the sump
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

  11. #26
    Registered Member Ryan925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    SF bay area
    Posts
    2,914
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Stand finishes

    Well that stand turned out to be a tint bit small so will need to sell it now that it's refinished. Decided to go back to the custom build. Thank God for the mid 70s-80 weather we have had for the past few weeks here.

    Here is the new build. Red oak with first coat of stain 1102018121816.jpg

    Thought about using the same paint finish but was too afraid to lose this beautiful grain
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Cafepress             AquaticSuppliers.com