AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: pre filter for fluval fx6?

Registered Member

Default pre filter for fluval fx6?

Hi I was wondering if anyone has done some kind of diy for a pre filter on the fx6 intake I really like the filter but would be better if I could rig a sponge or something on the intake so not so much food and debris get sucked into the intake. anybody ever done anything to theres would love to hear some suggestions thanks

Default Re: pre filter for fluval fx6?

Do you know what size tubing or pipe the FX6 intake accepts?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Do you know what size tubing or pipe the FX6 intake accepts?
    no not off hand why you have a suggestion

Depending on the size, you could probably diy something with pvc or vinyl tubing if necessary.

The intake strainer is pretty big on the FX6, so you might be able to just wrap it with a nylon (polyester is too fine) filter sock. I used to do this on Aquaclears but wrapped some sponge around the thin AC strainer first to fill the space. A cable tie kept it on the intake tube.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Depending on the size, you could probably diy something with pvc or vinyl tubing if necessary.

The intake strainer is pretty big on the FX6, so you might be able to just wrap it with a nylon (polyester is too fine) filter sock. I used to do this on Aquaclears but wrapped some sponge around the thin AC strainer first to fill the space. A cable tie kept it on the intake tube.
    that's an idea I also have an aquaclear 110. I found a little prefilter sponge at my local pet store that fits perfect for that filter but that fx6 strainer is so big hard to find something. but that nylon sock idea just may work thanks

Real Name
    Heidi

Sorry this isn't exactly what you were asking but I thought I'd mention some things I do that helps make the water crystal clear. I tie a 4" filter sock around the out-take to clarify the water and I strap a sponge around my circulation pumps with a rubber band. It captures a lot of crud which I wash it out every day.

I stopped with sponge prefilters because it was a pain to keep rinsing them. A media bag with sufficient surface area can easily go a couple months without maintenance.

Registered Member

I know this thread is a little old, but I did find a pretty good solution with the fx4 which I believe is same size strainer on the intake. Get the sponge that is made for the aquaclear110, hollow out the center just deep enough to slide entire strainer into the sponge. I was then able to remove about another half of the sponge after that. Hope you found a solution already, but I was happy with how it turned out. Sponge just stays on there without string or anything as long as you don’t hollow it out too much. It should be snug around the intake strainer

Registered Member

Nice! Any tricks for hollowing out? What did use? Thanks

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

I buy the Top Fin replacement sponges at Petsmart. It comes two in a box. The sponge is already hollowed out so you can just slip it over the intake. Work s great. Comes in medium and large size. On the box it says refill for Top Fin MF20 multi-stage internal filter. Part # 5282616 for the medium size.