AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rich

Default Re: Red Discus

Sanjay- if I could get a group of red covers like yours, and have them stay that color, man that is what I would want, with the exception of 1 or 2 males I guess!
    Rich

Rich, I will PM you.

And yes mostly the most red ones on a brown based Discus are females. I will inbox you after my work. Thank you!

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by mbruizer187 View Post
    Ok I have been searching since I started in the hobby(3 years ago), for a good red discus. I have looked through every post possible but people don't seem to update there pics years down the road from initial purchase. I see all these beautiful Red strains and I mean RED not some sort of shade of red, and that is from small sizes right up to 5-6 inches, but they are always breeder or importer pics. Does anyone have pics of a strain that holds red better than others and doesn't turn to a shade of orange? I know you have to feed with color enhancers to keep the red color but that still doesn't seem to keep them from turning orange. Please no pics with some weird special lighting to help it pop. If these importers/breeders can get the fish to be such a stunning red why cant we figure this out?

Thanks,
    Rich
    Hey Rich...you might want to check out one of Simply Discus Sponsors Carolina Discus and speak to Eric or Hanna....they have some exceptional Red Discus you can see for yourself http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ut-on-facebook!

Cheers,
    ...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Hey Rich...you might want to check out one of Simply Discus Sponsors Carolina Discus and speak to Eric or Hanna....they have some exceptional Red Discus you can see for yourself http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ut-on-facebook!

Cheers,
    ...Ralph
    I will check them out thanks, but again I am using this thread to see what these discus look like after people get them home and keep them in their tanks for an extended period of time. All vendors seem to have outstanding photos of RED DISCUS but they seem to change to orange most of the time, why? How do they keep them so red when young when they are suppose to have less vibrant color?

Rich

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rich

So no other members with Red discus?

Real Name
    Willie

Among red strains, the reddest fish will always be female. Among red melons, Fuji reds, etc., mature males will not have an even, intensely red appearance. It's a matter of fish hormones. Estrogen like hormones promote red color. You'll see this disparity whether it's PB-type reds or brown type reds.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Among red strains, the reddest fish will always be female. Among red melons, Fuji reds, etc., mature males will not have an even, intensely red appearance. It's a matter of fish hormones. Estrogen like hormones promote red color. You'll see this disparity whether it's PB-type reds or brown type reds.

Willie
    So another words, add estrogen to your water to increase the red in your fish---just kidding.

Some foods have estrogen in them or are known to increase estrogen. I wonder if they would help bring out the red in discus. Maybe add peas to their food?

Real Name
    Willie

So you've opened up a can of worms there, Heidi.

In fact, most red discus have been treated with estrogen type hormone to make them more attractive for sale. Some strains have had such a heavy dose that the fish are clearly stressed. If you breed discus, you'll know that even PB types do not develop much coloration until 4 - 5 months. If you see brightly colored 2" fish, its the hormone talking. High hormone doses at a young age can affect fertility. Much of the fading described here can be ascribed to hormonal treatment by sellers. Testosterone was used to make discus bluer, although that practice is no longer necessary since blue coloration is well developed.

Note that foods contain estrogen like compounds, but not estrogen. Those things do nothing to affect coloration.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Zac

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    So you've opened up a can of worms there, Heidi.

In fact, most red discus have been treated with estrogen type hormone to make them more attractive for sale. Some strains have had such a heavy dose that the fish are clearly stressed. If you breed discus, you'll know that even PB types do not develop much coloration until 4 - 5 months. If you see brightly colored 2" fish, its the hormone talking. High hormone doses at a young age can affect fertility. Much of the fading described here can be ascribed to hormonal treatment by sellers. Testosterone was used to make discus bluer, although that practice is no longer necessary since blue coloration is well developed.

Note that foods contain estrogen like compounds, but not estrogen. Those things do nothing to affect coloration.

Willie
    Willie's dead right. That is why breeders do not use colour enhancers on their breeding stock. If you look at breeding stock from many breeders, they seem very pale in colour. This isn't because they have genetics, its because colour enhancers are not in the diet. This will also allow breeders to determine which discus have the best natural colours. Some of these discus live exclusively on BH.

Real Name
    Heidi

Thank you for the insights Willie and Jack. It would be most ideal for the discus to be naturally all red.

I recall some things block estrogen from flushing out. Taking large doses of vitamin C blocks estrogen from flushing. I have had visible estrogen reactions to some supplements and herbs so there is a possibility that some natural things can affect estrogen even if they don't contain estrogen.

Real Name
    Heidi

It would be great to see one or more Discus sellers respond to this post with pictures and any advise or insight into keeping red discus vibrant.

I have been on the hunt for all red discus since before I purchased my first discus. I plan to invest in a lot of $ on new discus in 1-2 months and red ones are on my list.

Real Name
    Shari

Quote Originally Posted by sanjay21 View Post
    Here are my different shades of Reds.
    Attachment 114037
    Gorgeous!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12