AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Help to choose a UV sterilizer

Real Name
    Sergey

Default Help to choose a UV sterilizer

Hello!
    I have a decorative aquarium for 1000 liters.
    There are two filters FX-6. I want to put a sterilizer on 1. Can not choose.
    I look at the AquaEl PS-55W?
    Advise.
    Thank you!

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Help to choose a UV sterilizer

Hi Sergey and welcome to Simply Discus. We look forward to seeing pictures of Ukranian discus! I hope they are all as nice as the one in your avatar.

I have not used UV sterilization previously so I cannot recommend a specific model. However, I would suggest the following.

1. UV does not actually kill bacteria. Scientifically, it causes cross linkages in bacterial DNA which prevents them from dividing. Thus, it can minimize the bacterial population in the water, but cannot reduce it, nor can it clear up a bacterial bloom. (Blue green algae is also a bacteria and would be similarly affected, but not green algae.)
    2. Water absorbs UV light effectively, so the UV effect is minimal. The effective distance is far less in cloudy vs clear water, but it becomes virtually zero unless the UV tube is absolutely clear. Your ability to easily clean the surface of the UV tube should be a paramount consideration when choosing a UV sterilizer model.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Sergey

Hello!
    Thanks for the compliment. I will later show photos and videos of my fish. On the avatar is my favorite discus.

My species aquarium with a natural fish. I often have problems with bacteria.

I will take your opinion into account. How do you deal with bacteria?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusKiev View Post
    Hello!
    Thanks for the compliment. I will later show photos and videos of my fish. On the avatar is my favorite discus.

My species aquarium with a natural fish. I often have problems with bacteria.

I will take your opinion into account. How do you deal with bacteria?

Thank you!
    Myself I am a proponent of uv. When used properly it most definitely has it's benefits. Many here well steer you away from it as they don't believe in it or feel it's "unnecessary" Willy did provide you some good information. Keeping the quartz sleeve is key but it does not require a huge amount of maintenance.

Where most fail is not operating within the proper flow rate of any given unit. Exceeding the recommended flow rate with not allow the unit to effectively sanitize.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Myself I am a proponent of uv. When used properly it most definitely has it's benefits. Many here well steer you away from it as they don't believe in it or feel it's "unnecessary" Willy did provide you some good information. Keeping the quartz sleeve is key but it does not require a huge amount of maintenance.

Where most fail is not operating within the proper flow rate of any given unit. Exceeding the recommended flow rate with not allow the unit to effectively sanitize.
    Thanks for the answer!
    Do you think my model will cope?
    Aquael 55W + FX-6.