AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: What to expect from this pair?

Registered Member

Default What to expect from this pair?

Hello All!

I have had a pair form between two discus that are both solid yellow, but different strains. I will be letting them spawn and raise the fry. I am getting into hobbyist breeding and this is a good opportunity for a first attempt.

My question is, since they aren't the same strain exactly, what might I expect from the offspring?

Male first picture, yellow fish to the right with his reflection in the glass
    Strain: Golden Lollipop
    Source: Kenny's Discus
    Size: ~5.5 in.

Female second picture, solid yellow to the left, in front of the red one
    Strain: Gold Diamond
    Source: Kenny's Discus
    Size: ~5 in.

For additional info, the Golden Lollipop is pretty much always a solid yellow with an orange halo. The Gold Diamond is a bright yellow with a thin black halo...when not stressed. When she's stressed she turns darker and develops a lot of pepper on her forehead. It's actually a little crazy how fast she can change her appearance.

Happy to provide any more info needed. Thank you for your time and any input!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: What to expect from this pair?

Hello,

Beautiful Fish. They should make an interesting pair but my guess is you will have alot of pepper in the fry.... some may have very little. The clue is this...

When she's stressed she turns darker and develops a lot of pepper on her forehead. The Pigeon gene is strong in this One, Depending on whats in the Golden Lolipop there could be alot of Pepper or little. You best bet is to ask Kenny he may be able to give you more information. Yellows can also be very problematic in color as well. You may wind up with many a tank of something that looks like a Gold Mellon..

Only one way to know for sure. Please follow up if you decide to breed them. I would like to see what they do throw.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images