AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: I'm upgrading and new some direciton

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Default I'm upgrading and new some direciton

Current setup is 75g with way too many discus 10 plus. I went in to my LFS to look at tanks and was set to get a 180 non-drilled when they told me they have drilled for 709.00, I bought it.

I've done sumps before in saltwater and it's a different monster. I will go with a 40 gallon breeder and would like some direction how to set it up.

Currently for filtration, I'm running two AC110 and and eheim 2217. I have a full co2 setup I have yet to install since I'm not sure if I will go planted.

Some sump setup pics along with media and return pumps would be appreciated. Pics would be awesome.

Default Re: I'm upgrading and new some direciton

Any clue on what type of sump? Wet/dry or Poret would be my choice, but all types have their pros and cons.

How many holes are drilled? How much flow do you want?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lucas Smith

I run a simple Durso corner overflow in my 90. It flows over three layers of poret and then to the return pump. I run a MagDrive 9.5. I keep it simple. I’m dumping 60-70% of the water every other day, so I don’t over complicate the sump.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

I'm going just wet....the tank has two drains and two returns.

Whatever flow is best for the discus.

I will most likely go durso since I had those before and they are quiet

Here is the photo of a sump I built out of a 40 breeder. It's overkill but hey why not lol. I've yet to use it but hopefully will soon 3252017162248.jpg

Before you build I would also suggest taking a look at the diy anoxic filter thread. Could also build your sump around that idea...
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Quote Originally Posted by reaper7534 View Post
    I'm going just wet....the tank has two drains and two returns.

Whatever flow is best for the discus.

I will most likely go durso since I had those before and they are quiet
    With 2 drains I would go herbie

Herbie is your best bet.

I would recommend multiple sheets of Poret. A 40B is of an inefficient size for Poret, but it can work. A 55 would be better. 1 sheet of 10ppi, 2-3 sheets of 20ppi and a final 30ppi sheet would put you in business. No filter socks, no floss, just foam. Sump maintenance is limited to cleaning the foam 1-2 times a year and convincing yourself to leave the "mud" alone. It takes some getting used to.

For wet sumps, slower is better (4-5x is fine). You will have some dead spots in the tank, but a circulation pump or two will take care of them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

With the dual overflows how would I run a herbie overflow ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post

that cleared alot of things up. Thanks....

what would be a good return pump to use. I will be tee'ing off and bring it on each side.

that cleared alot of things up. Thanks....

what would be a good return pump to use. I will be tee'ing off and bring it on each side.
    I would definitely go with a dc variable speed pump so you can adjust. I have the jebao dct 6000 and think it's a great pump for the price. I sized that for my 75. You could go bigger and always turn it down. If I'm not mistaken 8 I think 5-6 turnovers is a good recommendation.

Keep in mind if you get a pump rated for 1000 gph it's actually less with tees, reactors, head loss etc

Real Name
    Kevin

I would also use the Herbie, I changed my Durso to a Herbie style drain and it is 100x better. I use 2 of these pumps in my 265 gallon display and the adjustable speed is a nice feature. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

last question..... I may build something like Ryan's sump for get something like this http://www.eshopps.com/products/filt...efsumps/rs200/

I see that the herbie drains want direct drops into sump but I would have no way to do that, if I minimize with 45's will that be ok. I really like those pumps you guys recommended, may go that route. Was looking at the Sicces pumps, but will rethink that.

Not plumbing related, next questions is heaters. Currently I run 2 200 watt Jagers on a Ranco controller in a 75g. Obviously I need more and want to relocate to sump, what wattage should I run with a ambient temp of about 72, I keep the tank at 82. The Jagers
    will be too large to fit in sump and I've read the heaters in overflow aren't a good idea.

Thanks for the help guys

last question..... I may build something like Ryan's sump for get something like this http://www.eshopps.com/products/filt...efsumps/rs200/

I see that the herbie drains want direct drops into sump but I would have no way to do that, if I minimize with 45's will that be ok. I really like those pumps you guys recommended, may go that route. Was looking at the Sicces pumps, but will rethink that.

Not plumbing related, next questions is heaters. Currently I run 2 200 watt Jagers on a Ranco controller in a 75g. Obviously I need more and want to relocate to sump, what wattage should I run with a ambient temp of about 72, I keep the tank at 82. The Jagers
    will be too large to fit in sump and I've read the heaters in overflow aren't a good idea.

Thanks for the help guys
    Those sumps are nice but when I saw the prices I decided on diy. One of our fellow members here Jenene bought an eshopps sump and overall wasn't that happy as they are more designed for a reef/refugium setup.

I went a bit overboard with mine lol. It can be as simple as good mechanical filtration, a large media chamber and a return section.

As far as heaters I recently got a jager and you are right they are really tall. Aqueon pros work nice also. If you diy your sump you could be sure to make your baffle height high enough to house the heaters you use. The sump I built I made a heater chamber just after the bio which is nearly 18" tall. Heater controller is always best way to go

As far as your drains it would be nearly impossible for it to be straight imo. You can use flex pipe or 45s would be just fine. If I'm not mistaken a 1" can handle something around 1000 gph under full siphon.