ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back again! Wild Cuipeua discus tank

Real Name
    Mauro

Default Back again! Wild Cuipeua discus tank

Hi everyone,

As announced in another thread, I am back to the hobby after a 2-year interruption. I set up a 75g tank and got 6 wild Cuipeua discus from John Kreatsoulas (Snookn21), one of the sponsors of this great forum. I went for a minimalist setup: pool filter sand as substrate, Manzanita driftwood branches and a few rocks. No plants and no tankmates. They have been in the tank for 7 weeks and are still a bit skittish, especially when lights are on. This is definitely the group of wilds I have kept that has taken more time to settle. Hopefully this time I will have less disease issues and will be able to breed again, let's see... This thread will track the tank's evolution.

It is nice to be back. I have lurked the forum for some time, but it is time to get the hands dirty again.

Here is a short video of the tank:

Registered Member

Default Re: Back again! Wild Cuipeua discus tank

Congradulations. Awesome tank and discus.

I am on of those who is trying to switch back to discus from reef now a days What is the lighting fixture you chosed for this tank?
    Regards,
    Tolga YAMAN

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

These guys look great Mauro and will only improve with time. So happy for you
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Great looking wilds! Love the shape of them. As Pat said will only look better with time. All the best this time around!...Bill

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Those look sweeeet! Congrats and keep us posted

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by tolgayaman View Post
    Congradulations. Awesome tank and discus.

I am on of those who is trying to switch back to discus from reef now a days What is the lighting fixture you chosed for this tank?
    Thanks. I use a Marineland LED strip light that is 36” long (tank is 48” long):

http://www.marineland.com/Products/a...rip-Light.aspx

I did not want a fixture that is too bright and this one works for me. I have it attached to a Current USA Single Ramp Timer:

http://current-usa.com/accessories/single-ramp-timer/

The timer mimics a sunrise by gently increasing the light over 15 minutes and then mimics a sunset by gradually dimming the light over 15 minutes before turning off.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    These guys look great Mauro and will only improve with time. So happy for you
    Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    Great looking wilds! Love the shape of them. As Pat said will only look better with time. All the best this time around!...Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Those look sweeeet! Congrats and keep us posted
    Thank you everyone. They do look promising and yes, there is some good shaped discus in the group. Two of them are stating to color up. They are doing well and are eating normally, but they still congregate on a corner, especially when lights come up. The key is patience and a lot of water changes

Real Name
    Ralph

Wow Mauro your rebound back into the game came in with a group of bomb shell Discus. After 7 weeks they are thriving under your care and only expect them to excel further. We all know and you will... get this wild group to spawn when the time is right.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Wow Mauro your rebound back into the game came in with a group of bomb shell Discus. After 7 weeks they are thriving under your care and only expect them to excel further. We all know and you will... get this wild group to spawn when the time is right.

...Ralph
    Thank you, Ralph. I do hope they will spawn. It was such a pleasure to witness a previous wild pair spawn and then to raise a batch of juvies. I hope they will get busy soon

Well done Mauro.
    As usual, you give me (and many others no doubt), the sense that you always strive to do things the right way, and that you succeed at doing just that.

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Well done Mauro.
    As usual, you give me (and many others no doubt), the sense that you always strive to do things the right way, and that you succeed at doing just that.
    Thank you, Paul, for the generous words. Actually, I had too many issues in the past and lost some beautiful fish due to whirling disease or whatever it was. So my record is just OK However, you are right: I am trying to start from scratch and learn from my past mistakes. The tank and the equipment is new, so there will be no contamination from my previous tank. And there are no tankmates or plants to introduce bugs to the tank. Will see how it goes this time.

Real Name
    Zach

Mauro, good to see you back in man. Let's get together some time, I'd love to see them in person again. This batch looks just as good as the last. How are they doing?
    -Zach

Real Name
    Anthony

It's exciting to see people coming back to the hobby!

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
    Mauro, good to see you back in man. Let's get together some time, I'd love to see them in person again. This batch looks just as good as the last. How are they doing?
    Thanks, Zach. It would be great to see you again. They are doing great, adapting well. I will try to post another video soon.

Quote Originally Posted by true2uroots View Post
    It's exciting to see people coming back to the hobby!
    I agree!

Real Name
    Zach

Mauro, what size are these guys and how often you doing your water changes?
    -Zach

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
    Mauro, what size are these guys and how often you doing your water changes?
    Zach, they are about 5" and I change 60% of the water every 5 days.

Time for an update. This is the third group of wild discus that I have kept. By far it has been the group that has taken longer to adapt. They have been very skittish, hiding most of the time, especially when lights are on. Four of the six Cuipeua are now more adapted, but two of them tend to be in the background. One of them, Mr. grumpy, stays on the back most of the time, coming out only to harass the others. Frankly, I was getting kind of tired with the lack of action, but they have finally started to color nicely. Here is a short video after almost 6 months in the tank:

I am glad I did not give up. They look promising. But this group has definitely tested my patience. At least they have been healthy.

So, what do you think, should I keep them?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast