ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Back again! Wild Cuipeua discus tank

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Back again! Wild Cuipeua discus tank

They look wonderful Mauro. Why would you ever consider giving them up. They are still young, give them another year!!
    Pat
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 06-07-2018 at 06:11 AM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    They look wonderful Mauro. Why would you ever consider giving them up. They are still young, give them another year!!
    Pat
    Thank you, Pat. I sometimes get tired with their tendency to hide, but I have learned a long time ago that the key to success in this hobby is patience. So I think I will follow your advice
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 06-07-2018 at 06:12 AM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I like the simplicity of your hard scape. At least you can see them even when "hiding" at the back. They have lovely colors and shape. TFS. Daniel

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusBR View Post
    Thank you, Pat. I sometimes get tired with their tendency to hide, but I have learned a long time ago that the key to success in this hobby is patience. So I think I will follow your advice
    Cool Mauro, look forward to seeing these guys in the future.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Beautiful quality Discus there! Love the colors and shape on them.

I'm not an expert but something that helped me with the shyness part on Wilds is Dimmer lights and feeding live foods(blackworms and red wrigglers). Once they settled down well with dimmer lights and approaching me for food. That's when I took advantage of using brighter lights.

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I like the simplicity of your hard scape. At least you can see them even when "hiding" at the back. They have lovely colors and shape. TFS. Daniel
    Thank you. The simplicity comes from my willingness to make things easier. The less stuff and decorations you have in the tank, easiest the maintenance. But that also means they can't really hide

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Cool Mauro, look forward to seeing these guys in the future.
    Pat
    I will keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjay21 View Post
    Beautiful quality Discus there! Love the colors and shape on them.

I'm not an expert but something that helped me with the shyness part on Wilds is Dimmer lights and feeding live foods(blackworms and red wrigglers). Once they settled down well with dimmer lights and approaching me for food. That's when I took advantage of using brighter lights.
    Thank you.

I have dimmer lights in the tank and I also feed them live foods when I can (I have a small white worm culture). They are not shy when eating and will come devour Al's FDBWs from my hands. But it takes only one of them to panic because of some noise or movement and they all go hiding.

Real Name
    Ralph

Bravo Mauro...they all look extremely healthy and well filled in and agree with Pat entirely..keep this group and work with them I'm sure the 2 skittish ones with come around.
    Or just give them to me would take that group in a heart beat.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Zach, they are about 5" and I change 60% of the water every 5 days.

Time for an update. This is the third group of wild discus that I have kept. By far it has been the group that has taken longer to adapt. They have been very skittish, hiding most of the time, especially when lights are on. Four of the six Cuipeua are now more adapted, but two of them tend to be in the background. One of them, Mr. grumpy, stays on the back most of the time, coming out only to harass the others. Frankly, I was getting kind of tired with the lack of action, but they have finally started to color nicely. Here is a short video after almost 6 months in the tank:

I am glad I did not give up. They look promising. But this group has definitely tested my patience. At least they have been healthy.

So, what do you think, should I keep them?
    Mauro,
    I'm glad you are back ! But as for this group, I would not keep them if I were you.They are pretty poor specimens. I feel bad that you have to look at them everyday. Since I am nice guy though I would be happy to take them off your hands

Obviously just kidding.They are a great looking group of fish!

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Bravo Mauro...they all look extremely healthy and well filled in and agree with Pat entirely..keep this group and work with them I'm sure the 2 skittish ones with come around.
    Thank you, Ralph. I hope the two skittish Cuipeuas will adapt soon. They always influence the others with their shyness.

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Or just give them to me would take that group in a heart beat.
    Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Mauro,
    I'm glad you are back ! But as for this group, I would not keep them if I were you.They are pretty poor specimens. I feel bad that you have to look at them everyday. Since I am nice guy though I would be happy to take them off your hands

Obviously just kidding.They are a great looking group of fish!

Al
    Ha ha! You two better wait sitting down, as we say in Brazil

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you. The simplicity comes from my willingness to make things easier. The less stuff and decorations you have in the tank, easiest the maintenance. But that also means they can't really hide
    Your design & philosophy here helped to shape my plans as I get ready to move back to discus. Cheers mate

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Your design & philosophy here helped to shape my plans as I get ready to move back to discus. Cheers mate
    Thank you. Good to know I can be of an inspiration for someone.

So here is a picture reflecting what I still have most of the day: fish hiding in one of the corners. They will come out in good spirits for eating or when the lights go out, but they can stay put like that for hours. Kind of irritating. But I know, I have to be patient, give them time.

Pic_tank.jpg

Real Name
    Tobi

It’s weird, as soon as I started giving mine Blackworms they wouldn’t stop begging every time I come near the tank. Virtually 2 days after acquisition. Even during water changes. I think there are some pics in my thread in the amazon subforum. What I found really helps, subjectively, is tinted water and floating plants. I’ve used tea in the beginning, but in the meantime switched to alder cones, AIL, humic and fulvic acid. They do change the water chemistry somewhat, but considering it’s wild discus I would say for the better. Maybe give it a shot?

But then again, looking at you video they look as relaxed as can be. Who knows, maybe they’re all girls
    Last edited by Swedgin; 06-10-2018 at 12:05 AM.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Zach

Very nice fish Mauro, patience and time. You know this more than anyone.
    -Zach

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    It’s weird, as soon as I started giving mine Blackworms they wouldn’t stop begging every time I come near the tank. Virtually 2 days after acquisition. Even during water changes. I think there are some pics in my thread in the amazon subforum. What I found really helps, subjectively, is tinted water and floating plants. I’ve used tea in the beginning, but in the meantime switched to alder cones, AIL, humic and fulvic acid. They do change the water chemistry somewhat, but considering it’s wild discus I would say for the better. Maybe give it a shot?

But then again, looking at you video they look as relaxed as can be. Who knows, maybe they’re all girls
    Thank you. Just to clarify: they do come out if I approach the tank, but will otherwise will stay put like that. It is just unusual compared to my previous two groups of wilds. I don't want to change anything in the setup, so no tinted water or plants for now.

Quote Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
    Very nice fish Mauro, patience and time. You know this more than anyone.
    Thanks Zach, I will give them more time.

Registered Member

Mauro - please give us your water parameters and temp - you using RO water I presume

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast