ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I missing anything/do I have anything wrong?

Default Am I missing anything/do I have anything wrong?

Hey guys.... 3 years ago I started to set this tank up...decided to finally follow thru with it.

Currently cycling the tank, I just went and got some of the Marine Land Bio Spira and dumped enough in for 55 gal. Going to give it a few weeks then try some fish (barebottom tank).

I have an Eheim heater with a solid HOB filter (don't remember brand so long ago) + pre filter sponge. I have a Brute trash can in my closet with an air stone / heater to age my water for WCs.

Just wondering...

1) Am I missing anything? I know there are those water circulation pumps and sponge filters, do you guys think I need anything else from an equipment standpoint?

2) How many fish should I go with? I have asked this question before and was given the answer of 6 fish @ 4.5 inches. What do you guys think?

I am going to include pictures of my tank/setup to make advice easier. My tank is taller than it is long...

3) Any advice for pairing discus colorings or anything? I work at a garden center and designing landscapes has a lot to do with color and form and texture, just wondering if there's any slam dunk color pairings for discus.

Thanks!!

FullSizeRender.jpg
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 07-17-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Default Re: Am I missing anything/do I have anything wrong?

LOL Please ignore the picture of an order from my business.... SD not letting me delete the picture I accidentally uploaded lol!

tank is probably 50 gal instead 55 tbh. Pre filter sponge *not pictured*

Attachment 128354

Registered Member

Discus are frightened by the Chargers logo. I would scrap it and get a logo that is more aquatic related. Such as Seahawks or Dolphins or Rams.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

You need to supply the beneficial bacteria with a food source of you hope to cycle your filter. Putting the bio spiral in and leaving it for a few weeks will not achieve anything but the bacteria dying, and then probably your fish as well. You can add ammonia or even some fish food to provide an ammonia food source for the BB colony to feed on and multiply.
    Buy a master test kit and when your ammonia reaches 0 and you have nitrates present you have the beginnings of an established bacteria colony to support your fishes bioload.

You could also buy a couple seeded sponge filters. Then you dont have to worry about cycling as long as you keep up with water changes. I believe some sponsors here might sell them when you purchase fish from them.

Mark

Real Name
    Tom

Angels plus sells cycled filters .
    https://angelsplus.com/products/active-sponge-filter
    Many use sponge filters even without a HOB.
    Using a sponge with HOB is a plus .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Brendan

Agree with what is said above, but also that tank is far too small and a I believe you will be setting yourself up for some problems.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

It's good that you're looking at treating and ageing your water before use, but by storing it in a closet you will have moisture issues in there and most likely mould issues.

Real Name
    Tom

Tank looks good and cycle won’t matter. Test kit a must for the first 2 months. Your going to be changing water daily about 50% or more. So that will keep your ammonia down. Being the tank is on the smaller size I would start with smaller fish. I just bought Hans discus at 2 1/2”. They see to be growing fine in my 45. I bought 8. Water changes are the most effective mportant thing.
    Peewee come on! How are Rams and Seahawks aqua related???

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanJ23 View Post
    Agree with what is said above, but also that tank is far too small and a I believe you will be setting yourself up for some problems.
    I agree that the foot print of the tank is too small for discus that size.

Registered Member

Oh, I've just noticed the positioning of your heater. If you're doing large water changes you could easily drop the water level lower than the heater which unless you remember to turn it off beforehand every time will lead to catastrophic heater failure, plus, sooner or later you will forget to turn it back on again (been there, done both lol). Much better to have it horizontal or diagonal nearer the bottom of the tank so you can't expose it to air.

Real Name
    Tom

It does look small. It is 50gal and not 50liter? Or that could just be the side. What are the dimensions.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    It does look small. It is 50gal and not 50liter? Or that could just be the side. What are the dimensions.
    A point, Tom. That is the side view. Why else would a Chargers logo be located anywhere than it is? Window placement and Charger logo location all suggest a side shot. It's a nice set up all the way. Except for that Charger logo. I'm suggesting a change in order to make the fish happier. Seahawks (huge fish eater), Rams (is a fish too) and Dolphins (also a fish).

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Being new to discus I would recommend having an established biofilter before you get discus. Most keepers have good intentions of doing daily or at least multiple weekly water changes, but in reality a lot of people, myself included, get busy with life and slack off. For that reason it's good to have an established filter so the worst thing your discus have to battle is nitrates and not ammonia or nitrite poisoning.
    Also, 4.5" fish are more tolerant of water quality issues, and so if you can afford the larger size it makes better sense to begin with them as well.
    As far as colors go, that is really personal preference. You're the one who will enjoy them, so buy what takes your fancy!

Registered Member

I would take a look at the Snow White or the White Butterfly. Both will color coordinate with the Chargers logo behind on the wall. You would get the white body with some yellow and even some blue on the fins. I would challenge you to find either with lightning shape striations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast