ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 800 Litre Stendker Alenquer

Default Re: 800 Litre Stendker Alenquer

Thanks for all the comments! And thanks Adam S for the nomination - I have since got a couple of decent sized Anubias Hastafolia which are at a lower level, going to try and post a video soon.

Mando I'm quite old school when it comes to fish varieties, I generally prefer wild-type colour variants - and really glad I went for Alenquers. If I had a fish house I'm sure I'd have more varities of discus, but not at that point yet.

ODwyerPW, basements are absolutely not the norm in Scotland, if they were I'd already have my fish house!!

And HMA stands for (I think) Heavy Metal Axe - sounds like a guitar, but mine is a three stage filter that I run the water through on its way into my aging barrels, it has a 1 micron sediment filter, carbon filter to remove chlorine & choloramine, and a third filter to remove traces of heavy metals, for example from lead piping
    Last edited by harper; 10-23-2018 at 01:32 PM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

beautiful mate...what a serene combo of aquascape & aquatic species...very peaceful to watch... thanks for sharing!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

I re-read your post and realized you did not talk much about your water setup. How is this process? I see an RO system, but are you solely using RO water or you mix? do you add any additives/minerals?

I purchased a redsea aquarium, but I'm not liking how their sump directs the water through it. Might go with something like yours however, my space is limited.

Thanks danotaylor. Mando I use a HMA filter which isn't as comprehensive as RO, my tap water is very soft so a RO unit isn't needed. I add some GH boost to the barrels, some trace elements for the plants, and aerate and heat for about 24 hrs before a water change. I also have some crushed oyster shell both in my aging barrels and in my sump to give some buffering capacity, since the water here is so soft

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123