ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Help please

Registered Member

Default Help please

My pair have just had there 3rd lot of eggs and this time we ended up with baby's but just has they start moving about they eat them, is there anything I can do to stop this happen

Default Re: Help please

Hi, Ann, welcome to Simply. Sometimes the parents will eat the fry if they think it's too small a brood. About how many eggs hatched?

If you had wigglers, that means the parents didn't eat the eggs, so obviously caging the breeding cone won't make any difference. Maybe it's just that the parents are inexperienced and need to keep trying? Give them a few more trys, then maybe the wigglers will attach. Good luck.

Registered Member

Thanks for your help

Registered Member

I would think there were 50/60 wigglers, I will let them keep trying

Registered Member

Don
    I'm a little confused, but I always thought that wigglers were when they first hatched and attached to the cone.
    If I read you correctly you are saying they are wigglers when they become free swimming.
    Yes ,know?
    Thanks
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Don
    I'm a little confused, but I always thought that wigglers were when they first hatched and attached to the cone.
    If I read you correctly you are saying they are wigglers when they become free swimming.
    Yes ,know?
    Thanks
    Jay
    Hi, Jay,

Ann said, "just has they start moving about they eat them." So, I figured they were eating moving fry. They're either wigglers, or free swimming, but all the same they're getting eaten. If the parents are eating wigglers still attached to the cone, then she should make a cage to cover the cone.