ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dark discus' (blue diamond, striated red, green, and marlboro) - Brewmaster15, HALP

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: Dark discus' (blue diamond, striated red, green, and marlboro) - Brewmaster15, HA

Update: epsom salt (@ 2tbsX10g) did the trick for my female in the 30g. Some how the food did not agree with her and she could not digest the food properly, thus, creating some kind of air pocket.

Poor thing; she would flirt with the male, and when she went to bow, lol, she did a frontal 360 flip. I'm glad she is somewhat better.

Unfortunately, this isn't the end of it. I believe that what is affecting my other fish is also affecting her. I think they are all fighting some kind of bacteria. However, since I'm not getting any response here, I am going to attempt to treat with metro. I will keep you all updated.

Edit: checked water parameters and everything is within wanted range.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: Dark discus' (blue diamond, striated red, green, and marlboro) - Brewmaster15, HA

Update: All the fish have gained their colors back in the 55g and they are establishing their pecking order now. The striated reds lost their stress bars and look stunning. The Discus in the 55g tank are pooping redish and looks healthy. Female in the 30g laid eggs again, she seems to be doing super well. However,, the pair's feces is black now.

I started the Epsom salt treatment on 3/3/18 at 2tbsx10g. skipped a day and same doses. Then after that, ever other day, I treated at 1tbs per 10 gallons.

In addition to Epsom salt, starting 3/5/18, I treated both tanks with Metro @ 1.5grams for the 30 gallons and 2.5grams for the 55 gallons. I'm also running this treatment without skipping a day for 10 days; today is my forth day. Fish are responding super well to the two treatments, so well that their appetite has increased tremendously.

I did stop the Epsom salt treatment yesterday as I feel that they are digesting their food properly now. The treatment did not negatively affect my 2 cory cats nor pleco in the 55g.
    Last edited by Mando; 03-09-2018 at 10:13 PM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

So apparently I did not eradicate the problem; te fish are sick again. I noticed my small marlboro hiding in the corner again and white feces. On the 30g (my pair), the female was slightly sick; feces was black. Three days later, the male (pair) started pooping yellow.

I came to two conclusions.
    1. I did not completely kill off the bacteria, even though a month passed without any symptoms. (I did not add any new fish)
    2. I introduced a parasite while feeding live worms.

I stop feeding the fish for two days, and I got them back on the pellet diet. Unfortunately, I am now part of the "do not feed live foods" group. I got my live food from a reputable fish store that is well known in the Discus industry. I will not disclose the name since I'm not 100% sure where and how the problem came back.

On the plus side, I finally got a microscope, and I got a few videos for you guys. This is 3 days after I began medication again. The footage/sample came from a nice looking red feces from the female pair who was originally pooping black. Certain spots had over 7 parasites, others had 1 lingering around, etc. The male was pooping yellow, however, today I have not seen his feces color. The female is back to her flirtatious self, but the male is in the corner quite upset with her and pecks her away. He is not clamped, but breathing heavily. On the main tank, the marlboro is actively swimming again.

This is how I medicated.

First day, Metro at the recommended dosage, removed black carbon, up'd temps to 90 degrees, and added Epsom salt. I waited 48 hours, Marlboro was still hiding. I did a second treatment, and added a metro/prazi blend together with Epsom salt 2tbs/gallon. within 24 hours, marlboro is actively swimming. The other fish did not show any signs of a bacterial infection. I waited another 48 hours after the second dose, and here is where I'm at today. I am cleaning the bottom of the tank every morning, afternoon, and evening. Sometimes 6 times a day, as feces falls on the floor. I am focusing on a super clean tank to avoid the spread of the bacteria. In addition, I do 50% water changes daily.

From the videos, please elaborate what kind of parasite/bacteria I am dealing with. I will try to get a sample from the Male pair and the Marlboro. Sometimes I sit in front of the tank for hours without seeing them defecate. I will upload the videos in a second.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Unfortunately, I do not know how to upload videos..... Photobucket costs an arm and a leg now. Anyone know of the next best way to upload videos?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    Unfortunately, I do not know how to upload videos..... Photobucket costs an arm and a leg now. Anyone know of the next best way to upload videos?
    Hi Mando, please upload your video's to youtube and post the links here. You will need to create an account on youtube prior to uploading. I read thru your entire thread. Not sure what to suggest but I do wonder if there is something up with your water.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

https://imgur.com/gallery/r60s6q3
    https://imgur.com/a/TIt9MtR
    https://imgur.com/gallery/dCjZlJT
    https://imgur.com/gallery/W0UG16F

The first 3 pics with the circles are from the video that I have. This sample came from the nice red looking feces from female pair. Those critters were moving around.

The next four pics are from the white poop from the male pair. Those bugs werent moving; could they be eggs? I didn't see anything at 400x. Those samples are from 250x and under.
    Last edited by Mando; 04-24-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Mando, please upload your video's to youtube and post the links here. You will need to create an account on youtube prior to uploading. I read thru your entire thread. Not sure what to suggest but I do wonder if there is something up with your water.
    Pat
    Posted pics

I really think it came from the live food. Let me know what you think about the pics.
    Last edited by Mando; 04-24-2018 at 10:36 PM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

The fish have been doing well, but I am still intrigued by what the bacteria was if any of you could name it.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Can anyone tell what was the bacteria that I was fighting? My discus are doing exceptionally well now. I’ve since upgraded to a 73 gallon red sea tank + sump for a total of 9x gallons of water volume. (Still a bb tank) Monitored by an apex system. Ph and temp could have never been this stable.

Its been over 6 months since my nighmare that almost caused me to convert to a peacock cichlid tank.

I’ve also added a ton of plants in my sump with shrimp. So far the shrimp are doing well in this warm water; breeding like crazy. Baby shrimp make it to the main tank where the discus have a feast.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Pat
    Hello, Pat. I ,too, believe it was the well water in addition to the cold water changes I was doing. I believe that a drastic temp change like I was inflicting causes the slime on their bodies to deteriorate making them susceptible to diseases.

Correct me if I’m wrong. Just giving enough info of what worked for me so that someone, in a similar situation, can fend for themselves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12