ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discus - Help Please!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Leandrah Warren

Default Re: Discus - Help Please!

Hey Al,
    The one Discus seems to be losing a little of his slime coat (60% water change and i've added the second treatment). The water looks like it has particles in it but thats from the Biltricide because i've just added it Is this normal? it seems like there is a slight improvement, they are flicking a little more but i think its just because they are uncomfortable from the Biltricide (nothing hectic) Thank youUpload 5.JPGUpload 6.JPGUpload 7.JPG
    Last edited by Leandrahwarren; 02-07-2018 at 12:33 PM.

HI Leandrah,
    I would not worry at this point. The cloudy water is most likely from the binders The Biltricide uses... I would monitor your ammonia and Nitrite though as sometimes these get wacked a bit from bacterial blooms caused by sugars in some binders. The slime coat peeling culd be from several things, possible this fish is just a bit irritated from the meds. Hard to say. If its acting fine otherwise I would not worry. It could also be from the meds woking on Flukes.. These will cause irritation when they die.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Leandrah Warren

Thanks Al, the cloudiness only lasts about an hour while the little particles dissolve. As for the slime coat.... they all seem to lose a tiny bit but its nothing hectic (its only when i initially add the medication in), otherwise they are all starting to look better. Dose 3 today

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Leandrah Warren

Hey Al, one last thing: The discus that wasnt eating (at all) and sitting at the back of the tank is looking a lot better, he has coloured up a bit and has an interest in food, but every time he eats he spits it back out. Is this normal? it is definitely progress seeing as i cant even remember when last i saw him interested in food.

I dont think that he has intestinal flagellates because i have tested with metroplex for quite a while prior to the Polyguard & Biltricide, or could i be wrong?
    Last edited by Leandrahwarren; 02-09-2018 at 02:45 AM.

The behavior of taking in food and spitting it out is often associated with Discus that have internal parasites....no one really knows why. Maybe its like they want to eat but just aren't up for it. Praziquantel does have an affect on other parasites besides flukes. Its excellent as a dewormer targeting tape worms, and reportedly works on some nematodes. This may be where your problem lies. Fish that have capillaria or other nematodes eventually stop eating and waste away as the worms damage their organs ... Its possible the Prazi is treating this fishes issues. If so it can still take weeks for the damage done by worms,
    hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Leandrah Warren

Thanks Al Im just so glad that there is some improvement in him. Your help has been tremendous

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Leandrah Warren

Hey Al and Kyla,
    are these little holes normal?SS1.JPGSS2.JPGSS3.JPG

Real Name
    Filip

The holes may indicate HITH/ LLE but they still look too small so I would just continue to observe them .
    The Pus or the air bubble on the discus eye may indicate some bacterial or chronical GBD problems too .
    Do more of your discus have this bubbles around their eyes ? If so , start considering about aging your water prior waterchanges.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Leandrah Warren

Hi Filip
    Thank you for taking the time to comment - i am not sure that is pus, it looks like the coloring when you look close up (none of the others have it), or am i looking at the wrong thing?
    I have started treating with Flagyl which has helped this specific Discus quite a bit because there were obviously worms present (I have attached two pictures - one where you can see the eye again)

What are your thoughts?Orange.JPGOrange 2.JPG

Real Name
    Filip

His right eye looks better Leandrah .
    If it is the only discus with only one eye looking this way , than probably you shouldn't worry about it .
    Flagyl is metronidazole and it is used for Flaggelates in the discus gut , commonly refered as Hexamita.
    It should be administered when discus won't eat for more than a coulple of days and its poop is stringy , white or translucent.
    It is also a med. commonly used to treat HITH in discus and angelfish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12