ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Mixing stock

Registered Member
    Real Name
    José Herrera

Default Mixing stock

So, I hope that I can clearly convey my question.

I have a 240 liter/60 gallon tank that I have set up and intend on adding my first discus. It is bare bottom, I am running a Fluval 406 and a small sponge filter. Also in the tank is are a couple of fairly large pieces of Manzanita driftwood.

The tank has never had any fish and has been up and running for a few months now and I have just been a little apprehensive about pulling the trigger and ordering my fish from Jack Wattley's Discus. Not because I have any reservations about the quality of fish, just because I am a bit nervous about keeping a "difficult" fish.

The Manzanita is pretty funky. I cannot say what it is covered with. It is a thick thick thick white/greyish film. I think that the tannins from the Manzanita have colored it up a bit. I've done a couple water changes and the Manzanita cleans up okay, but not completely, but the film comes back after several days. I added a tiny bit of Riccia fluitans to a crease in the driftwood and it has started growing just a little bit. The Riccia moss came from a tank that has never had fish in it. (This tank is intended for some cherry shrimp sometime down the road.)

When I get the discus, I will buy 6 (3-4") from one vendor and add them all at the same time.

Here is my question:

Can I take a bristle nose pleco from one of my tanks that has never shown any issues and add it to the 240liter tank? Will there be any issues with this or do I need to order all of the fish that will go into the tank from the same vendor?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Che

Default Re: Mixing stock

Quote Originally Posted by CheChe View Post

I have a 240 liter/60 gallon tank that I have set up and intend on adding my first discus. It is bare bottom, I am running a Fluval 406 and a small sponge filter. Also in the tank is are a couple of fairly large pieces of Manzanita driftwood.

The tank has never had any fish and has been up and running for a few months now and I have just been a little apprehensive about pulling the trigger and ordering my fish from Jack Wattley's Discus. Not because I have any reservations about the quality of fish, just because I am a bit nervous about keeping a "difficult" fish.

The Manzanita is pretty funky. I cannot say what it is covered with. It is a thick thick thick white/greyish film. I think that the tannins from the Manzanita have colored it up a bit. I've done a couple water changes and the Manzanita cleans up okay, but not completely, but the film comes back after several days. I added a tiny bit of Riccia fluitans to a crease in the driftwood and it has started growing just a little bit. The Riccia moss came from a tank that has never had fish in it. (This tank is intended for some cherry shrimp sometime down the road.)

When I get the discus, I will buy 6 (3-4") from one vendor and add them all at the same time.

Here is my question:

Can I take a bristle nose pleco from one of my tanks that has never shown any issues and add it to the 240liter tank? Will there be any issues with this or do I need to order all of the fish that will go into the tank from the same vendor?

Che
    The bacteria build up you see on the wood is normally. It will eventually go away on its own but taking the wood out and cleaning it manually speeds up the process.

If you are thinking of adding the bnp strictly for that reason then it is not really necessary although plecos do love to munch on it.

If you add any fish with discus there is always the risk of some sort of cross contamination.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Mixing stock

Quote Originally Posted by CheChe View Post

Here is my question:

Che
    The white mold on your Manzanita is normal for almost any newly introduced wood in the tank. It will go away on it's own with time .

About the Pleco .
    Is just one pleco worthed the risk of cross contaminating a whole batch of new discus ?
    If that pleco means that much to you then I would introduce it a month after your discus arrive and are already well adjusted and eating . Then you can take one test discus and put it with the pleco for probe 1-2 weeks .If all goes smooth , then you can more or less safely mix the pleco with your new discus.