AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Any tips for breeding cories?

Real Name
    Steve

Default Any tips for breeding cories?

I have a dozen or so sterbais in my tanks, something I introduced this past year. They do a nice job cleaning and I think making waste more accessible by the sponge filter. I pretty sure I've got a couple fat females and wondered about breeding them. Suggestions welcome. I've read a couple online articles, one recommended bare bottom or sand and no plants like an amazon biotope, and of course, another said heavily planted was best. Your experience appreciated.
    Steve

Default Re: Any tips for breeding cories?

This is how I like to do cories:

Stuff:
    - bare 10 gallon
    - sponge filter
    - dried oak leaves (6-10, other leaves are fine too)
    - heater (78F-84F)
    - 2 males, 1 female (4/2 is fine, but a single large female will probably make more eggs than you need)

Sterbai aren't delicate cories and sometimes need a kick in the pants to start spawning. Pick your favorite female and two studs and move them to the 10 gal. Feed frozen/live at least once a day (they respond really well to worms: earth, black, white, etc.) and hit them with large, cool water changes as often as you can. A change of 10F or more is not excessive. Within a week, they should lay their eggs on the glass and you can return them to the main tank. The little guys hatch in a few days, and you can start feeding very little amounts of food after their yolk sacks get used up. The dried oak leaves do you a solid when the fry hatch, as they grow microorganisms like infusoria for the little guys to eat. Be aware though that cories are DUMB and are prone to overeating/exploding when tiny. BBS/microworms are best, but finely crushed dry foods can also be used. You can keep them in there for a month or so before they need bigger digs.