ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No more wild discus in US?

Real Name
    Mauro

Default No more wild discus in US?

Hi folks,

There are two forum sponsors that used to import wild discus on a regular basis: Mark Chen (Discus Origins) and John Kreatsoulas (Snookn21). As some of you know, Mark has retired and there is no news from John since early December. I hope very much John is well (I always had great experiences with him). But if John goes out of business, we are left with no importers of wild discus in the US. Can you imagine that?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kirby

Default Re: No more wild discus in US?

The same thought has crossed my mind too! And to be honest, I'm pretty bummed out! Not that I bought a lot though. But when I want more where will I go?

I'm going to be in Naples Saturday & Sunday and was thinking of driving up to see if he is around and find something out.

I even had a fleeting thought that if I was retired I just found my new retirement job! But like I said it was fleeting!

The only other importer that I know of is Gabe Posada at Wattley Discus. He isn't a Sponsor here though and I don't know anything about him. And I hope I didn't just commit a sin by mentioning his name!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kirby

Now that I think about it........at the NADA show in Chicago I made some runs to the airport to pick up people who were flying in. I picked up the 2 gentleman from Singapore who had entered a couple of Wilds in the show. If I recall correctly I think he won. I talked with him quite a bit because I have Wilds and He said he got that fish and some others from Gabe. I can't recall his name but I do have his business card at home.

I just talked to Jeff Rapps @Tangled Up in Cichlids through email, he said that he may be bringing in some Peruvian wild discus next month. He is a top-notch vendor and I have used him several times for South American imports: geophagus, primarily.
    Last edited by Discluv; 02-05-2018 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Discluv View Post
    I just talked to Jeff Rapps @Tangled Up in Cichlids through email, he said that he may be bringing in some Peruvian wild discus next month. He is a top-notch vendor and I have used him several times for South American imports: geophagus, primarily.
    Jeff is great. I actually have some Pterophyllum scalare 'Suriname' coming from him at the end of the week. Peruvian is better than none at all I guess but not really what I want.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Jack Wattley had some big wilds advertised and he had some nice videos of some on YouTube. ?? Not sure of the present stock

I was thinking about this to and Gabe at Wattley Discus is the only one I know currently selling wilds. Kirbs is correct that Peter Lo's wild discus at the last NADA show came from Gabe.
    Jerry Baer
    it's just a box of rain

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

What about cardinal tetras? John had the best prices.

Real Name
    Ryan

Johns been MIA lately & has a bunch of claims against him in paypal. Theres a thread here on it. He hasnt fulfilled orders in a bit, even when pre-paid for. Which is a cloud in my sunny day, because i loved johns cardinals.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbs View Post
    Now that I think about it........at the NADA show in Chicago I made some runs to the airport to pick up people who were flying in. I picked up the 2 gentleman from Singapore who had entered a couple of Wilds in the show. If I recall correctly I think he won.
    That was Peter Low and he won 2nd place. First place was Kingdom Come (Kraig K) with a wild that came from John K.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    Jeff is great. I actually have some Pterophyllum scalare 'Suriname' coming from him at the end of the week. Peruvian is better than none at all I guess but not really what I want.
    I have some fish coming today from him as well-- geophagus neambi He is one of the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Ryno View Post
    Johns been MIA lately & has a bunch of claims against him in paypal. Theres a thread here on it. He hasnt fulfilled orders in a bit, even when pre-paid for. Which is a cloud in my sunny day, because i loved johns cardinals.
    Yup, I was one of those persons.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Maybe to find out who is importing it may be worth contacting directly the top Brazilian exporters and ask who they ship to in the US. You could try Victor Quaresma at Santarem Discus or Hudson Crizanto at H&K Discus

Real Name
    Steve

Sounds like there's an import job niche out there for someone!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Maybe to find out who is importing it may be worth contacting directly the top Brazilian exporters and ask who they ship to in the US. You could try Victor Quaresma at Santarem Discus or Hudson Crizanto at H&K Discus
    No one in the US currently imports from Hudson. Gabe Pasada (Whattley) imports from Santarem. Mark (Discus Origins) imported from WB Sabby but just retired from importing so no one is importing from Sabby. Those are the three big Exporters of Wild Discus.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast