ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No more wild discus in US?

Registered Member

Default Re: No more wild discus in US?

Quote Originally Posted by fishfarm View Post
    hmmm, It has been a while, but I imported wild discus for a number of years, the entire discus system is currently empty, I'm sure I could start it up again if the demand is there, I know two of my suppliers are still in business.
    I think there is still a demand for wilds...the few I see in stores from time to time are usually pretty poor looking and emaciated for the prices they are charging. I myself am not interested in the super high end specimens and rare collection points as I just do not spend that much money on individual fish. I appreciated John's (snookn21) stock as he had wilds that were actually affordable at times for me while also offering some more expensive fish to those that wanted them. I would love to just see a more consistent offering of some of the more traditional wild type browns and greens again. I am not looking for specimens with necessarily perfect barring, eye color, etc....just healthy, and the way they patterned in nature as the domestic solid color and patterned fish that are so popular do nothing for me.

I think there will always be a market for wilds and there will be people that sell them. Most Discus sellers whether they sell Domestics or wilds are here one year gone the next. Very few sellers survive.Its a hard industry that looks so tempting from the outside but is a royal pain most of the time. Not saying you cant survive... some sellers have figured out how to do it and do it well.

Btw..Jimmy has access to wild..
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...nto-California

What I would like to see is a concerted effort by hobbyists to breed wilds and offer their fry for sale.Its an area that as a hobby we have neglected,imo. Im not talking about buying the imported "wild" crosses.Im talking about just breeding these wilds we have locally .
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

This thread is old but just wanted to mention Freshwater Exotics has a nice selection of wild discus right now. I just received some wild Santa Isabel angels from them. Nice quality fish and very good customer service.
    TONY

Real Name
    Mervin

There is no issues on getting wild caught fish in Canada. I've ordered from this place many times over the years. He up puts the list every few days. If you live near the borded, just have them shipped to the border and come across and get them. http://cichlaholic.com/pdf/August%2018.pdf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123