AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Only FDBWs

Registered Member

Default Only FDBWs

My fish refuse to eat anything but freeze dried blackworms. So far this is working and they are growing. Do I need to get FDBWs that have other stuff mixed in such as vegetables or vitamins, or are straight FDBWs OK? I use California Blackworms.

Default Re: Only FDBWs

Quote Originally Posted by CammieTime View Post
    My fish refuse to eat anything but freeze dried blackworms. So far this is working and they are growing. Do I need to get FDBWs that have other stuff mixed in such as vegetables or vitamins, or are straight FDBWs OK? I use California Blackworms.
    I believe the general consensus is that fdbw are plenty nutritious. Al does have fdbw with spinach
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I believe the general consensus is that fdbw are plenty nutritious. Al does have fdbw with spinach
    I bought those, the bio-pigment plus, that have spinach in them. My fish devoured them like crazy.

Real Name
    Julian

Quote Originally Posted by CammieTime View Post
    FDBW are addicted, and nutritious, however you shouldn't relay in a single food, believe me I being feeding Al's FDBW for years now, and is along with FBH or Seafood mix ,one of my staples.
    You can teach them to eat other foods , just a matter of teach them who is boss, feed the food you intend them to eat solely at the end of the day , and if they refuse to eat it, vacuum right a way. so they won't grow "repugnance" for it. eventually in a few days they will go for anything you throw out them.
    Also in about a year of so they still will go for FDBW but no as eager , as when you alternate with other foods. for now you can soak them in vitamins or selco or anyother suplement before feeding them.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Real Name
    Steve

I agree with Julian's training regimen, plus I have them go without food for a few days if necessary. I didn't have any specific nutritional background to back it up with, but decided I wanted to vary the diet and added a pellet staple for one feeding. I use Al's Discus Chow (not a paid endorsement )
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 02-08-2018 at 12:00 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pardal View Post
    FDBW are addicted, and nutritious, however you shouldn't relay in a single food, believe me I being feeding Al's FDBW for years now, and is along with FBH or Seafood mix ,one of my staples.
    You can teach them to eat other foods , just a matter of teach them who is boss, feed the food you intend them to eat solely at the end of the day , and if they refuse to eat it, vacuum right a way. so they won't grow "repugnance" for it. eventually in a few days they will go for anything you throw out them.
    Also in about a year of so they still will go for FDBW but no as eager , as when you alternate with other foods. for now you can soak them in vitamins or selco or anyother suplement before feeding them.
    Tried this, doesn't work with my fish. Even after starving them for four days they refused to eat anything other than FDBWs. They will commit suicide before they eat anything else.