AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New to the forums! 29 gallon build!

Registered Member

Default New to the forums! 29 gallon build!

Hey everyone, new to the forums here but have steadily been keeping fish and Discus in particular for the last several years. Recently came across a lone Marlboro Discus and took it upon myself to setup a 29 gallon planted aquarium and brought the little guy home. He is currently the only inhabitant in this tank and will likely remain so outside of another potential Discus. I realize that most keepers are using larger systems, but unfortunately I don’t have the appropriate space for a 40, 50 or larger sized tank. I’m also every limited due to my landlord. (The joys of renting) but I wanted to go ahead and show everyone how my current setup is going. Tanks specs as follows:

29 gallon tank
    Universal rocks background
    Aqueon powerfilter
    Marineland 200 watt heater
    Hikari brand Sponge filter
    Fluval shrimp stratum substrate (buffering reasons)
    Driftwood
    And two generous pieces of Java Fern along with some ground moss that I’m hoping will grow in a carpeting fashion.

Water parameters: ammonia 0ppm nitrite 0ppm nitrate 0ppm and ph 6.5
    Using half tap water and half R/O water to maintain ph levels.

Let me know what you guys think! I’m also an avid reef keeper and have a Nano sized reef tank as well!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: New to the forums! 29 gallon build!

First and foremost, welcome to the forum. Many here, including me will emphasize how social discus are and keeping them alone isn't recommended. Discus should be kept in groups of 5 or more. With that said, I understand your size restrictions due to renting. You can always add a sump for higher water volume.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Welcome aboard!

Real Name
    Filip

Welcome aboard RoblesEddie .

As Rick already said. , discus are schooling fish and thrive in larger groups .
    With that said I have seen a few reports from members here on this forum where discus keepers successfully kept a single discus in some of their tanks for a couple of years , so I guess although not recommendable, its still doable.
    I would change the bottom gravel in to a fine sand too , because plant soils are notorious for traping dirt , affecting the overall water quallity and compromising discus health on the long run .
    Other than that , everything else from tech. aspect seems fine to me .

Good luck with your lonesome Marlboro cowboy and please send some pictures of it in its new home.