AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Question regarding space

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jordan Worboys

Default Question regarding space

Hey guys! New to this. I Have a question, so I have 1 discus in my 55 gallon tank I'd like to say she's about 5-6 inches. Then I just now got 4 clown loaches there about an inch and a half pretty small guys. I know they get big and I'm eventually going to increase my tank size to around 90 or more. But for the question if I go to the store and pick up some more discus for my 55 gallon tank, what would u consider a safe number with the loaches. Keep in mind the new discus I would get would be small ones like 1.5 inches. I don't want the fish to feel crowded or stunt growth I'm going to get a bigger tank probably in a year or year and half. Just wondering a safe number for my 55 gallon with the 4 loaches and 1 discus alone already id like to get 3 more, so they both have a small school but don't want it to be to much

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Question regarding space

I would say not a good idea.Baby discus should not be raised with other fish if you wish to succeed in this hobby.I would go for 6-8 baby discus;get rid of all other fish at least until the discus get a fair size and get a bigger tank in a few months.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jordan Worboys

I find it may be hard to get rid of the other fish. If I got 3 more discus do u think all the fish will have enough room I do plan to get a new tank soonish

Real Name
    Mervin

I would get 6-8 baby discus and get a new tank for them.Knowing what I know now I would never put baby discus in with other fish until they have some size to them.They won't get big and beautiful like they would if they were properly reared.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

I'm going to get a bigger tank probably in a year or year and half.

You can't wait this long Jordan or you'll just have a bunch of Sardines lol. Those Loaches will grow real quick too and pretty big and in 3 months you'll have a mess on your hands. You already need more tanks. You can keep the 55 for your Clown loaches and get a nice big tank for your discus. They need lots of room along with great water and great food and under stocking a tank can be your best friend when it come to keeping your fish healthy. We need to stop trying to stuff as many fish as we can in a tank. What we like is usually not what is best for our fish.

Real Name
    Willie

The next purchase you make should be a quarantine tank.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.