ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ro filter?

Registered Member

Default Ro filter?

I am looking to get into discus, and looking for a ro filter. Will a 3 stage be good enough for a ro filter, or should I get a 4 or 5 stage? Thank you for the help..

Default Re: Ro filter?

3 stage is fine. DI isn't necessary unless your tap has a lot of nitrates.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    3 stage is fine. DI isn't necessary unless your tap has a lot of nitrates.
    +1
    I like the 3-stage I got from Bulk Reef Supply (I actually have 2 of them). If I recall, I had to look for it a bit on their site to get the one without DI.

I emailed BRS a while back asking if they offered a 3-stage, and they said no. Pentaires and Spectrapure also offer good units. If you get a good deal on a 4-stage unit, just swap the DI for another carbon block. Good if you have chloramines.

Real Name
    Steve

I got my numbers mixed up. They are the 4-stage filters; three canisters plus the RO.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

I emailed BRS a while back asking if they offered a 3-stage, and they said no. Pentaires and Spectrapure also offer good units. If you get a good deal on a 4-stage unit, just swap the DI for another carbon block. Good if you have chloramines.
    You have to be certain to use Catalytic Carbon to remove chloramines.

Registered Member

Is there a reason not to have the di part of the filter? Is the di striping to much of the water for the fish?

It's expensive and unnecessary. RO makes water with 8-15 tds depending on the source water, DI drops that down to 0-6. RO strips too much anyways, so you will have to reconstitute it with tap or a commercial product.

Real Name
    Filip

It's expensive and unnecessary. RO makes water with 8-15 tds depending on the source water, DI drops that down to 0-6. RO strips too much anyways, so you will have to reconstitute it with tap or a commercial product.
    +1.
    Aiming for 50 -100 TDS would be more than enough to strip from the tap water .

Registered Member

Ok, so I live in the city with treated water. And my home has copper pipes. Should I get a ro filter or treat the water coming out? Thanks for all the help just new with it all.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Are you planning on breeding? If not you may not need reverse osmosis. Check the pH, total and carbonatic hardness of your tapwater before deciding if and what RO filter you may need

Registered Member

You might also try looking at airwaterice.com. I've had mine for over a decade and it still works great.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Are you planning on breeding? If not you may not need reverse osmosis. Check the pH, total and carbonatic hardness of your tapwater before deciding if and what RO filter you may need
    Paul is If you are just starting, why the RO? Discus do fine in regular tap. I only use RO to insure fertilization...

Real Name
    Willie

A rule of thumb is whether you have a water softener. If you do, then you have hard water coming in. Best approach would be to tap the pipe so input is pre-softened water. Water softeners work by adding salt to the water, so what you get is not soft water, but softened water. There's a world of difference.

If you get by just fine without a water softener, discus will spawn fine in tap water.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I have the BSR 5 stage with an added R/O membrane to cut down on waste. If I don't want to use the D/I i can use unplug the water line going into it. It's the last station on the unit and gives water with 5PPM before the D/I. As someone mentioned you don't need the expense of R/O for domestics, I only use it on my wilds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast