AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: growth in mouth / swollen mouth

Registered Member
    Real Name
    aidan

Default growth in mouth / swollen mouth

my large blue diamond has a large growth or swelling in its mouth on the bottom , its not his lips its actually in his mouth , i have used anti bacterial medication on the tank, all my levels are normal and my other discus are perfectly healthy , it looks like if it gets any bigger he will no longer be able to breathe , he is still eating and behaving mostly normal ( he is making more of an effort to breathe due to the smaller airway) , i have spent time googling this for any breed of fish with no luck , an injury is my only idea ( picking at surfaces, swallowed a fragment of bogwood) , no recent changes to tank , weekly water changes of 205 using aged tapwater and prime chlorine remover/ nitrate detoxifyer any, one inch sandy substrate tank has been running for about two years 6 discus 5 cories 400litres no stocking changes for at least one year help appreciated cheers PS working on uploading a photo
    Last edited by nanoudge99; 02-08-2018 at 08:01 PM. Reason: adding info to help diagnose

Registered Member
    Real Name
    aidan

Default Re: growth in mouth / swollen mouth

Real Name
    Filip

I havent yet seen something this big and similar to this . From the pics it looks like its all mouth is completely closed and I'm surprised that it still manages to eat and swallow with this lump in its mouth.
    I would separate it in a QT tank and start some antibacterial treatment first . I don't know if that would work but I do feel that if you don't treat at all it won't go away on its own and it will further deteriorate discus imune system and overall health .
    Good luck Aidan .

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Hello Aidan, sorry to see the pics you posted. I also keep lots of fancy angelfish, besides discus, and this appears to be a tumor, like some of my angels have gotten over many years of them. the tumor keeps growing until the fish can't eat anymore. Then the fish just wastes away. I don't think there is a cure, maybe surgery by a fish vet. but that would be expensive and might not work.
    Very sorry. But please keep on visiting us here at Simply.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!