AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: "lbj"--NOT

Default "lbj"--NOT

"LBJ" in bird watcher speak means Little Brown Job, used to describe a small brownish bird that you didn't get a good enough look at to positively ID. You see alot of these birds in the warbler and sparrow groups because so many just look so similar at a glance. Some however, you can learn quickly to distinguish it from others. The Song sparrow(Melospiza melodia ) is one. It has a streaked breast that converges to a splotchy mark in the middle. Its a common bird in much of the USA and Canada
    Unfortunately for it , it doesn't stand out. Its not brightly colored like a blue bird, cardinal or goldfinch. Sparrows in general are subdued in colors. Most people not into birdwatching do not give them a second glance.

152.jpg

151.jpg

150.jpg

149.jpg

148.jpg

Though they are not colorful, they sing beautifully , you can hear their calls and songs Here...

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Song_Sparrow/sounds

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-06-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: "lbj"--NOT

I love small birds like this. I used to keep finches (sp.?) When I was young and loved their singing and their personalities

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

You're getting some good close up shots, is this from being close to the subject, a telephoto lens or digital cropping. The clarity is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cal View Post
    You're getting some good close up shots, is this from being close to the subject, a telephoto lens or digital cropping. The clarity is great.
    Thanks Dave,
    Some of them were cropped for the vertical portrait look...I was the same distance in all the pics, shooting at 200mm. I shot these at Iso 1600 as the light was fading. I used a k3 pentax which is a 25 mp camera. The lens I used is a tamron 70-200 F2.8 lens. I shot at f10 to get some depth. I love this lens. Its become my go to lens. Its extremely functional on my cropped sensor.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Very nice Al, I just recently purchased a Canon S80D and like you I am a long time bird watcher. Looking forward to the Spring migration so I can get out and have fun with it. By the way does brewmaster suggest what I think it does, hops and barley maybe something else we have in common.

Hi Dave,
    Nice to meet another Birder! Looks like you are in Nj? Pine Barrens and Cape May are two of my favorite spots there.

I cant wait for the spring Migration as well!

yes...the brewmaster does mean what you think. Though I brewed for years I do so infrequently now. I do still love a good brew though.
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Flickr links removed ... info here.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com