AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Juvenile Discus feeding schedule with a fulltime job

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Default Juvenile Discus feeding schedule with a fulltime job

Hi all!

I recently joined this forum and already gained loads of help and experience from you guys!

I bought about 10 juvies (2inch) 1,5 weeks ago and they are doing great! I have just finished college so I had a nice 2 week break where i could feed them during the whole day. I am feeding them whatever they eat which kinda boils down to about 1 blister of beefheart and/or crustacean mix 5-6 times a day and they love it!

But now after college its times to wear the big boy pants and start making a living of my own with a job. So starting next week ill be working a 9-5 job and I am wondering how i should go around my feedings if i want to keep up with the growth...

Would it be okay if i feed them once I leave for work, then right when i get back and a last time before the lights go out? Then i would feed 2 blister at a time and it would kindoff boil down to the same amount of food.

Hope to hear your thoughts!

Default Re: Juvenile Discus feeding schedule with a fulltime job

Buy one of these. They work better with pellets than they do with flake. https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/accessor...ng_fish_feeder
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Buy one of these. They work better with pellets than they do with flake. https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/accessor...ng_fish_feeder
    Ditto, I own 8 of these and haven't had any issues. Most of mine are filled with Al's Discus chow.

Real Name
    Steve

I would agree with trying to incorporate the auto-feeder, but I think you could do fine with the feeding schedule you suggest. I'm wondering what your water change regimen is. That matters, too, and feeding more at a time might not be really necessary, especially if it wouldn't get eaten right away. Your water quality could become more of an issue.

Real Name
    Filip

Kudos for your effort and approach on discus keeping Tim .
    I think it would be perfectly enough if you feed them good prior going to work , and 2-3 times more after you come home from work .
    At least this was the schedule I grew mine 2 inchers with , and it has worked for me .

Here is my grow out thread , you can browse it through to see and compare discus Sizes through the months.I hand measured and recorded their growth through months , so you may find that helpful to compare growth with :

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...growout-thread
    Last edited by Filip; 02-13-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Thanks for all your support! I've had a busy week and didnt have time to order the feeding machine. On top of that i'd prefer not to feed dry food (this is just a thing my local stendker dealer told me he does, so it could be complete hogwash). I have been feeding them on th proposed schedule for a week now and, even though very hungry when i get home, they seem fine.

Regarding my WC schedule: i try to do 25-50% daily and most of the times im able, but sometimes i dont have the time for daily's, so I do a 50-70% the next day instead. Bottom line, at least a 50% water change every other day

Cheers!

Real Name
    Willie

Welcome to the rat race! Most of us have full time jobs and breed discus at the same time. I mush up beef heart in the morning. I'll dump a lot in because they peck at it all day. They get fed again when I get home and once more later in the evening. They grow well, maybe not perfect, with this feeding. Of course, they'll get fed 6 - 8 times on the weekends.

To optimize growth, I think its far more important to do huge water changes. Mine get 100% water change every morning before I go to work. This is a small batch in a 37 gal cube this morning halfway through the water change (half of them are behind the sponge).

Fry WC.jpg

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.