ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Best most reliable digital thermometer

Registered Member

Default Best most reliable digital thermometer

Just wondering what brand you guys use i used a topfin and it doesnt give accurate reading i also use the classic glass thermometer inside the tank but isnt the easiest to read but im sure that one is accurate and the digital one i was using has a 4 degree difference just looking for recommendations thanks everyone

Default Re: Best most reliable digital thermometer

I use an infrared temp gun. No complaints.

I use an infared gun as well. Don't buy a cheap one or you will regret it. When I need to be really sure of the reading I use my kitchen thermometer. https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermape...caAuDAEALw_wcB It doesn't measure down to 10th of a degree but who needs that?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Ok thank you ill check those out

Real Name
    Heidi

This is what I use in my tank. The controller works without the heater attached. It gives a loud alarm if the temperature goes above or below what you set it at in case one of your heaters goes out or gets stuck on- you will know. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Finnex-Tita...item84fcbea725

Get yourself something like an inkbird and save yourself the trouble and potential heartache. I would never run another tank again without a heater controller
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Get yourself something like an inkbird and save yourself the trouble and potential heartache. I would never run another tank again without a heater controller
    A controller with 2-3 small heaters is the best peace of mind money can buy for an aquarium. I like the Ranco ETC111000, but the Inkbird looks easier to setup.

An infrared gun or instant read thermometer like the one Liz mentioned is really nice to have during water changes.

Checktemp by Hanna Instruments. Very reliable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I have a heater controller but need to upgrade to a better on just got a cheap finex what ink bird model do u recommend i was also looking at jehmco controllers i heard those are the best

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by matt2426 View Post
    I have a heater controller but need to upgrade to a better on just got a cheap finex what ink bird model do u recommend i was also looking at jehmco controllers i heard those are the best

I had a jehmco controller, it stopped working after 6 month or so. jehmco wouldn't replace it.. i have 3 inkbird ITC306T controllers, 1 started reading incorrectly after 2 years. inkbird sent me a new one for free...this just may be what happened to me, but inkbird proved a better choice for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    This is what I use in my tank. The controller works without the heater attached. It gives a loud alarm if the temperature goes above or below what you set it at in case one of your heaters goes out or gets stuck on- you will know. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Finnex-Tita...item84fcbea725
    happy, how long have you had this and are you pleased with it?
    was looking at this and inkbird, but this also has an alarm

Real Name
    Heidi

Hi Jack. I've had it for 1 year. I had both the controller and heater but I fried the heater on accident. It got pulled out of the sump. After that I mounted the controller on the side of my tank, can see the temp readout even 10 feet away. The thermometer piece is in my display tank so let's say a heater goes out in the sump and the temp drops, it will alarm and also if the return pump stopped working without my knowledge the tank temp would go down it would alarm. I love it. I can't imagine not having it.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    Hi Jack. I've had it for 1 year. I had both the controller and heater but I fried the heater on accident. It got pulled out of the sump. After that I mounted the controller on the side of my tank, can see the temp readout even 10 feet away. The thermometer piece is in my display tank so let's say a heater goes out in the sump and the temp drops, it will alarm and also if the return pump stopped working without my knowledge the tank temp would go down it would alarm. I love it. I can't imagine not having it.
    okay thanks, buying now.
    my heater got stuck on and killed alot of my fish. you mentioned that it had built in alarm was helpful as i was going to buy a separate alarm, but less plugs and clutter is better.

Real Name
    Heidi

I'm so sorry to hear that. You will be happy with it.

You can set the alarm to go off if the temp is too high or low. If the heater gets stuck on you will know. It's loud. I can hear it in the other room when it goes off.