ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: non-stop egg laying machine.

Question non-stop egg laying machine.

So... I have this female that never stops laying eggs. She was laying every five days and would eat the fry on the 4th day, to prepare for her next batch of eggs. This last time I was so happy because she didn’t eat the the fry. Everything was going great, I thought she finally had this. Today (day 7) she spontaneously started pecking the cone and attacking the male. low and behold she laid eggs again. The male spawned with her and did his proper runs. Something I have never witnessed before happened. In-between runs he would shake off the fry on him and lunge at them. I thought, oh great he’s eating them. BUT NO, he was in fact collecting them and putting them on the cone with the eggs. Once the eggs were all laid and they were done spawning, he gathered them up again to attach to him and continued to help the female watch the eggs. So.. right now I have a pair with fry attached to them and a fresh batch of eggs. This is something I have never experienced before. Anyone else experience this??

~Pete
    ~ Pete
    any advice I give is just that, advice. I say it because it's what works for me.

Default Re: non-stop egg laying machine.

Yes, remove the eggs if you want to give the fry a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by 100fuegos View Post
    Yes, remove the eggs if you want to give the fry a chance.
    The fry attached are a pretty small group ( only about 20) so I’m thinking I’ll just let this play out, probably get more fry from this new batch. Or will they all become a snack?
    ~ Pete
    any advice I give is just that, advice. I say it because it's what works for me.

Real Name
    Willie

Getting discus to spawn in Lesotho is no mean feat. However, discus will not raise two spawns simultaneously. In your position, I'd pull the older spawn and raise them on brine shrimp. They're likely to eat both pairs.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.