ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Starting Point

Registered Member

Default Starting Point

I am new to discus.

I have purchased a 125 gallon, have two Fluval Canister Filters, have heaters and air supplies on the way, and a beginning to work towards a water aging system.

My water from the tap looks to be 7.8ph, KH 89.5, GH 125.3.

I am concerned about the PH, howeverr I have read so many wide ranging statements about PH, I am a bit confused.

Any advice? Do I need RO system?

I am in Western Washington and on a well.

Thanks

Don

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Starting Point

Welcome to the forum and discus fish keeping Don .
    Your water parameters are on the soft side wich is good for discus fish and pH of 7.8 although alkaline is not that bad either. The best PH is the stable one , and you can achieve it with regular Water changes and aging your water .
    Just find a way to age and aerate the well water for 24 hours prior water change and you'll be good to go with discus .

Good luck with your new adventure Don and keep us posted with pics and Info's.

Registered Member

Filip,

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Just find a way to age and aerate the well water for 24 hours prior water change and you'll be good to go with discus.
    +1 Totally agree. Doing this dramatically improved my tank dynamics.

Registered Member

Alright,

Tank is filled, beginning to cycle. I am still working on our water change system, and aging tanks.

We are thinking we are a month out before we get serious about the fish part of this effort.

Thanks again for the input.

no to RO
    and you can test water as you age it to figure out if you have a ph swing to worry about, and if so, how long.

remember, discus like clean water and plenty of WC

Real Name
    Willie

One point to consider since you are new to discus. Domestic discus are raised in crowded conditions with large, frequent water changes. If you're going to buy 2" - 3" fish, they'll get "lost" in a large tank. You'll find them to be very skittish and often they'll stop eating. Since you've already committed to a 125, you should consider buying bigger 4"+ fish to start. Another possibility is not to fill the tank to reduce the water volume.

If you're starting with smaller discus, I'd recommend raising them in a smaller tank.

Welcome to the hobby, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

OK,

I now have a good reason to setup those two 55 gallon tanks we picked up a couple weeks ago.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bethany

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    One point to consider since you are new to discus. Domestic discus are raised in crowded conditions with large, frequent water changes. If you're going to buy 2" - 3" fish, they'll get "lost" in a large tank. You'll find them to be very skittish and often they'll stop eating. Since you've already committed to a 125, you should consider buying bigger 4"+ fish to start. Another possibility is not to fill the tank to reduce the water volume.

If you're starting with smaller discus, I'd recommend raising them in a smaller tank.

Welcome to the hobby, Willie
    Thanks for the great info, what size tank would you recommend for 10 2-2.5" fish?
    Long time fish nerd... just getting started with Discus and I am starting to realize how little I know!

Well, if you keep them bare-bottom (which you should), they grow quite fast with good feedings, so you may keep them in anything from say, 40 gals. to a 55. Suggest you might go with the larger 55, in order to keep them for a longer period before having to accommodate them in a larger tank.