ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Diagnosing Discus Illness

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Re: Help Diagnosing Discus Illness

To me the original sick fish looked to be losing his slime coat... possibly due to an irritant in the water.... your nitrates are high can you get them below 10?
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

Hi Mando

Thank you for replying. So sorry to hear you lost three Marlboros - that is just horrible. Can you share what you found was wrong in your tanks?

I know I've been treating with many meds - probably too many. Just trying to find something that works.

The discus is still hanging in there and actually looks better. His color improved quite a bit but his eyes are still cloudy. Took out all meds today with a good water change and carbon so we'll see what happens.

I'm still going to treat food with Metroplex since he isn't 100% and had a major setback before.

I'll continue to send updates on what happens.

Registered Member

Thank you for your reply jmf3460 - just saw this.

The discus in question looked to have an excess slime coat that was mottled if that makes sense when he first showed signs of sickness. But I'm not an expert - that's why I'm looking for advice.

Maybe the slime coat became irregular due to the illness? Not sure. He is looking better now after multiple rounds of different meds so we'll see. Nitrates have been about the same (I know they should be 0 if at all possible). I'm trying - with the meds it's been difficult.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12