AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Is Finnex false adverstising ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Default Is Finnex false adverstising ?

I purchased two Finnex 500w titanium heaters and have them connected to my Ranco controller.

When checking wattage draw, one reaches 450w and the other is 430w. Is this within spec or are these heaters just not reaching the proper temperature ?

My 200w Ehiem Jager is reading dead on.

I'm measuring with a Kill-a-Watt. If I was off by 25-30 watts each heater, I wouldn't be concerned, but 120w total is alarming
    Last edited by reaper7534; 02-15-2018 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Added info

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Default Re: Is Finnex false adverstising ?

Do you know what your voltage is going into your heaters? The heaters would be rated based on 120 volts and if you're at 110 or possibly even less you're not going to get 500w out of them.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    Do you know what your voltage is going into your heaters? The heaters would be rated based on 120 volts and if you're at 110 or possibly even less you're not going to get 500w out of them.
    +1, Some homes receive 240 volts from the line and others receive 220 volts. This will of course be divided in half in your typical wall outlet.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    Receiving 121v at my receptacle. Finnex responded to me saying their heaters are +/- 10% of their rated wattage. So that falls in line with what I was seeing. I've since sent those back and got a couple 500w heaters from Jehmco. I was disappointed
    to see that they are Won heaters, but somewhat relieved it seems the problems associated with them are the ones with thermostats. I have just the element controlled by the Ranco, so I " should " be ok.

On that note, these are seriously underrated. I'm getting about 630w each out of these.