AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Pest snails

Registered Member

Default Pest snails

hello, my tank is sumped and when I started it I kept plants which have now gone,but my problem is I have lots of snails that i want to get rid off in the sump and main tank,is there a chemical which i can safely use to kill them,

Default Re: Pest snails

Are there fish in the tank?

Real Name
    Mervin

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I used cupramine once and it killed snails but along with that I lost a school of tetras so beware if you have small fish in the tank!
    Its me "Prabhu" I am just a little angry these days

Real Name
    Mervin

Might be time to try assassin snails;at least when they run out of live snails they stop reproducing and just eat other stuff.I use them and it's a lot better than a tank full of trumpet snails.They don't reproduce quickly.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Get a few killer snails (Anentome helena). Very effective and (not being hermaphrodite) they breed very slowly so easy to remove once the job is done

Real Name
    Julian

Another option will be clown loaches, they have a taste for snails, and if you want to mantain the biotope you can remove them later after their job is done.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

I've tried different ways to remove these pest snails from my tank and "Yo-Yo loaches" are by far the best eaters of these snails. You will be surprised on the results in a week's time.

From thousands of snails to almost nothing ! I later sold those loaches and got some Assassin snails and I don't have any pest snails at all.

Real Name
    Mervin

Also,killing a tank full of snails all a sudden with chemicals can lead to ammonia spikes.

Registered Member

I have heard of people putting things like lettuce leaves in tank overnight for snails to climb on to eat to fish them out in the morning. Also dosing with salt can be effective as many freshwater snails are effected by salt causing them to dehydrate and such and die off also.

I know at the store I work at when they order freshwater snails they typically die off quickly which I attribute to the fact that we are required to use salt in aquarium maintenance.

It's also a natural option to try first, over adding other fish or anything, over using any type of medication. I'm always a fan of trying what you can naturally before considering any kind of medications.

what worked best for me was assassin snails.