AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Will John Snow live to see another season?

Real Name
    Patty

Default Will John Snow live to see another season?

I finally moved my discus from my 75 gallon into a 125 gallon. While getting things ready I noticed our little runt, a Snow White discus had a swollen belly. He had been hiding, but attributed that to him being the runt and new pecking order with the removal of my hero fish.
    Out of 10 discus, he was the only named fish when my husband called him John Snow (Game of Thrones) and so he was named.
    I followed the advice here on how to treat his swollen belly. I used Epsom salts 2 Tbsp per gallon and had just done a 90% wc. Since he wasn’t eating I saw no reason to do another wc in 24 hrs just to add more salt, so I waited 5 days and saw some poop floating around from time to time before being filtered out. I work 12 hr shifts so couldn’t watch as much as I’d like. I did another big wc. His breathing had improved immensely. His belly went down and this morning he looked cured, but still not eating. I moved him to a 10 gal hospital tank and I’m setting a timer every hour to keep the temp to around 82. I’m treating him for bacterial infection. I know his chances aren’t good, but neither was John Snow’s. Hopefully my John Snow will be around for another season as well. I welcome any comments/feedback even spells to make that happen!

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: Will John Snow live to see another season?

Real Name
    Patty

Well he made it through another day...

Real Name
    Patty

John Snow update: 6 days since treatment began and he is hanging in there. He’s back in the 75 gallon, but still not eating. His breathing is better, but still rapid. When I took him out of the hospital tank, I added 1 TBS Epsom salts per gal mainly just to calm his rapid breathing. He’s not out of the woods and I’m not sure what to do next. Any ideas? I’m thinking of just doing a lot of wc and giving him a break from any further treatments and seeing if I can entice him to eat. Tried but can’t seem to load a pic right now...hmm another thing to scratch my head over...

Real Name
    Patty

Did I post this in the wrong place? Any suggestions?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lucas Smith

I would just keep up with large daily WCs. Be patient. If I have a fish not eating for awhile, I will move them to a hospital tank and up the heat. That usually gets them eating again. If you suspect a bacterial infection, don’t up the heat.

Real Name
    Patty

Thanks for the experienced advice Liz!