AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building a new fish room.

Registered Member

Default Re: Building a new fish room.

Quote Originally Posted by geo57 View Post
    Wow, a fishtank room. I was happy just to get a fishtank lol, and you get a whole room with a thousand tanks. I couldn't afford the energy costs. it is beautiful bro.
    I am putting a lot of thought in this room because high energy bills I don't want. Insulation is probably a little overboard, super efficient mini is not cheap but should not cost much to run, ERV instead of regular fan to reduce energy loss, all LED lighting.....

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Wow what a fish room That is gonna be! If only I could talk the wife into a fish room. Very nice so far!

Registered Member

Progress has slowed down quite a bit but eventually it will all be up and running.

Last weekend we moved my tanks out of storage, they need some cleaning and I plan on touching up the paint. Moving the tanks a few times has resulted in quite q bit of it being scraped of.
    IMG_1104.JPG

The ERV was installed, we choose to install the unit and the duct work in the well insulated garage. Two simple vents were installed for the air supply and return.
    IMG_1108.JPG

Today the mini split was installed. This unit is super efficient at 25 Seer and an HSPF of 13.3
    IMG_1107.JPG

Next step will be IBC totes and plumbing for air and water.

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Looking amazing,can't wait to see it finished.
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darren's Discus View Post
    Looking amazing,can't wait to see it finished.
    Me either! Hurry up!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

nice......

Real Name
    Patty

What a waste to have a window when everyone will be looking at those tanks! This is amazing to watch it unfold!
    Patty

Registered Member

Any updates I really want to see how this turns out

Registered Member

Finally some progress!

Two of the four IBC totes are on the rack and plumbed in. I found some simple float valves which I installed using 3/4" bulkheads.
    One rack for the first ten 65 gallon tanks is in place and air, water and drain lines are in place.
    A 1" water line will feed the tanks with aged water from the IBC totes, each tank will have its own fill valve. A 1 1/4" line makes a full loop around the room for air and a 1 1/4" inch drain line runs right below the tanks to make siphoning water out of the tanks easy.

These ten tanks will have sponge filters and/or Mattenfilters.

tanks.jpg

Registered Member

Some more work done.
    10 tanks.jpg
    Ten tanks ready to go, finally.
    I have removed all the original glass dividers which divided the tanks in three 20+gallon compartments. I used 3" thick Poret foam to divide some of the tanks in two 30+ gallon sections. I did try the 2" thick foam first but it doesn't work for this tank size. The 3" works great. I made slits with a sharp knife at the water level and installed air lift tubes so that the dividers will filter the water.

Real Name
    Bill

Looking great! No doubt this will be the envy of many on here, myself included.

Two questions for you, admittedly as someone who hasn't done any of this himself:

(1) did you think about drilling the tanks and installing bulkheads for automatic or semi-automatic drainage? (Might not want to now, but would allow you to automate more down the road...);

(2) were you planning to slope the drain line? Not sure if standing water or slow drainage would matter much if you were gravity siphoning one at a time, but could be an issue if you used the drain differently, like with a pump or multiple open valves. (Again, no experience, but have seen people try to allow space to drop a quarter inch every 10 feet, I think it is.)

Congrats on the progress and look forward to seeing more!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tshethar View Post
    Looking great! No doubt this will be the envy of many on here, myself included.

Two questions for you, admittedly as someone who hasn't done any of this himself:

(1) did you think about drilling the tanks and installing bulkheads for automatic or semi-automatic drainage? (Might not want to now, but would allow you to automate more down the road...);

(2) were you planning to slope the drain line? Not sure if standing water or slow drainage would matter much if you were gravity siphoning one at a time, but could be an issue if you used the drain differently, like with a pump or multiple open valves. (Again, no experience, but have seen people try to allow space to drop a quarter inch every 10 feet, I think it is.)

Congrats on the progress and look forward to seeing more!

Thank you Bill,

I did install bulkheads in the other ten tanks I have. Going into this project, my plan was to set them up with a sump "Discus Hans style". Somehow I talked myself out of it after I made a four tank setup to test this out. I decided to keep this first setup as simple as possible and just get a better feel of what it takes to maintain these tanks.

I did slope the drain line a little, not sure if it is a quarter inch per ten feet though.

Registered Member

A few picture of a divider with lift tube. These Jetlifters move about 150 gallons per hour.

inside tank3.jpg

inside tank4.jpg
    Last edited by RichardTN; 10-01-2018 at 04:42 AM.

Registered Member

First fishes to be delivered today!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Looks great mate...what fish do you have arriving today? How exciting for you!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast