ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Question about removing babies or parents

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg

Default Question about removing babies or parents

Hi all, I recently have had 2 pairs of Blue Carnation Turks that have spawned 2 x. Both times eating the eggs. I caged the 3rd spawn on one of the pairs and they are now taking care of the babies who are eating off both parents. Here is my question, everywhere I've read about separating babies from parents (when it is time) is to remove the parents into another tank. To me that seems like it would stress the parents more if you move them every time to a different tank when separating them from the babies. To that end, why would you not simply remove the babies to a different tank to rear them? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Question about removing babies or parents

Most people I know move the fry to a new tank. You should be moving them to a larger tank than the breeding tank anyway.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    Most people I know move the fry to a new tank. You should be moving them to a larger tank than the breeding tank anyway.
    Thanks Larry for the reply. That is what makes sense to me as well. I want to make sure I get it right as I have 9 Red Eagles that are now approaching 5 - 5.5 inches and showing signs of pairing. Any other tips for the new fry? Would a 29 gallon be sufficient for a couple weeks or would a 40 or 55 tank be better? Again, thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Steve

I think it depends on your set up or tank space, and folks do it both ways. I have a bunch of 55's and 75's. I use the 55's for breeders and the 75's are kind of the community tanks. I pull the parents and put them back in the community tank, or possibly another 55 breeder. The fry get the tank. That's what works for the space I have right now. I've got a half-dozen 29's that aren't set up right now. If I had more space, I'd probably use them like you are. I need to build a fish room like Larry's!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    I think it depends on your set up or tank space, and folks do it both ways. I have a bunch of 55's and 75's. I use the 55's for breeders and the 75's are kind of the community tanks. I pull the parents and put them back in the community tank, or possibly another 55 breeder. The fry get the tank. That's what works for the space I have right now. I've got a half-dozen 29's that aren't set up right now. If I had more space, I'd probably use them like you are. I need to build a fish room like Larry's!
    Thanks for the reply. It if funny you mention the tank sizes. I am thinking if I get rid of my 29 gallon tanks and use more 40 breeders and 55 gallon tanks I can cut back on my heaters.....thus less electricity.....in theory....

However, I would need to divide the tanks.......I assume I would use the poret foam I have from Swiss tropicals........do you use anything as dividers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ggz123 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. It if funny you mention the tank sizes. I am thinking if I get rid of my 29 gallon tanks and use more 40 breeders and 55 gallon tanks I can cut back on my heaters.....thus less electricity.....in theory....

However, I would need to divide the tanks.......I assume I would use the poret foam I have from Swiss tropicals........do you use anything as dividers?
    I use 40's for breeders but I don't divide them. I like the space for the pair and with a large batch of fry feel like the extra space is worth it.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association