AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running tap water through a 5-micron filter

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard Hao

Default Running tap water through a 5-micron filter

Will this do anything good to my tank? I thought of using this because we live in an 50-year old building where the water pipes are all galvanized iron, and chances are they are rusty now. I'm not adding the activated carbon, read somewhere that ac is not good for discus.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Default Re: Running tap water through a 5-micron filter

Hi Richard,
    No idea on the micron filter sorry but I will say this, I had discus over 12 months ago for the first time keeping them. Now it could have came down to being very inexperienced, but I also read somewhere that you don't need carbon in fresh water tanks or with discus. Now, I had 5 discus die over time in my 4 foot tank that had no carbon running in it, they developed all types of illnesses. Since then I have read up seriously on carbon itself, it is actually very important to use it in fresh water tanks as it removes nasty toxins from the waters, BUT it must be replaced every 3-4 weeks with new carbon. Unless you get solid advice on this site about not using carbon I would be using it, I'm only new here so I'm yet to see a carbon topic. Your best bet is to read up on it online. Just my 2 cents worth on that note

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard Hao

Hi Sabrina,
    Mixed reactions with the carbon issue. Some had success in using it and others don't. I just don't know if they are sure that carbon is the cause of their encountered problems. But it really cleans the chlorine from the tap. Thanks for your reply. I haven't browse all the other post, maybe later someone can share their experience with activated carbon.������

Real Name
    Mervin

The amount of iron rust in the pipes should be fine.It probably isn't setting in the pipes long enough to be harmful.The micron filter would be good to remove gas bubbles from your tap water if you do large WC's.Activated carbon is something your might never need.I haven't used it in 20 years.

Registered Member

Iron pipes shouldn't be rusting. The treatment plant should have a corrosion control program to prevent iron, lead, and copper pipes from corroding.

Real Name
    Steve

I'm on a well and I have a whole-house 5 micron filter on my input from the pressure tank. In addition to the calcium scale and sediment, I definitely see it catching iron in the water. I would think it couldn't hurt.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

I have had issues with water from my city from time to time. Paul Butler recommended I use a 5 micron filter along with a carbon block. If you're going to take the time an effort to set up for the 5 micron filter I'd set up for a carbon block as well.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Quote Originally Posted by richard hao View Post
    Will this do anything good to my tank? I thought of using this because we live in an 50-year old building where the water pipes are all galvanized iron, and chances are they are rusty now. I'm not adding the activated carbon, read somewhere that ac is not good for discus.
    Hi rich, I use a sediment filter and a 5micron filter to filter my tap water before storage and treatment, which is basically cycling water thru a HOB for a few days. I live in Tracy, California and our water is great. Once it stabilizes it PH=7.4 but what is really good is TDS= 70. like yourself i don't know how benificial the 5micron filter is, I assume it's minor but it has to help, cannot hurt. I stay away from carbon because if it becomes non effective over time it can release the toxins back into your tank, and I have heard that can cause illness like Hole in the Head. If there is something wrong with my water i want to know of it and carbon can mask some problems. Maybe some more experienced posters can comment.

Real Name
    Julian

The 5 micron filter , will be excellent for any type of water. In fact the 1 and 5 microns are the First Stage in any RO system. and carbon are the second , and third stages, without them the membrane of any RO system will not last long. If you have any concerns about low TDS , you can always add supplements to reconstitute your water to the desire TDS, or even a small amount of aged tap water .
    In other words, I recommend to use a full RO, instead of partial parts , like a micron an carbon filters, the addition of the membrane if what will give you the quality water that you can work with it .
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by Pardal View Post
    I recommend to use a full RO, instead of partial parts , like a micron an carbon filters, the addition of the membrane if what will give you the quality water that you can work with it .
    Which method you use depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you want a low TDS for breeding purposes an RO unit is definitely the way to go, and what I do. For just removing contaminates in tap water a low digit micron filter and carbon block is a lot cheaper method. No membrane cost and no wasted water. I use both methods all the time.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Julian

"If you're going to take the time an effort to set up for the 5 micron filter I'd set up for a carbon block as well".

So if you are going to take the time an effort to put the other two why not to put the damn whole thing , a membrane online ie BRS $34.00 for a 75g membrane that last two years, that is cheaper , that changing filters for half way job.
    What I want to acomplish?
    I want to acomplish happy discus, Wilds and Bredding pairs as well IME, and for to raise juveniles I use aged tap water with Safe which detoxify chlorine, chloramines, amonia, nitrite and nitrate. for the last 25+years .
    Unless you using well water , there is not need if the City does its job. If not you got bigger problems that a micron and carbon will not be able to fix anyway. One more reason to use the whole thing.
    I use my waste water in the garden and even for some juveniles of other species
    I just gave my recommendation base in my life experience . At the end you take or not take it , is up to you your tank, your fish.
    Last edited by Pardal; 03-13-2018 at 02:48 AM.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Registered Member

No dechlorinator detoxifies nitrite or nitrate.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hello Megalodon,

Yes there is dechlorinator that detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, its called Prime by Seachem...

29137015_10214039992287224_4517185128618786816_o.jpg

Real Name
    Sabrina

Oh and Safe by Seachem is the same as Prime by seachem but the Safe is much more highly concentrated...

Registered Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast