AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running tap water through a 5-micron filter

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Default Re: Running tap water through a 5-micron filter

Quote Originally Posted by Pardal View Post
    I just gave my recommendation base in my life experience . At the end you take or not take it , is up to you your tank, your fish.

Unless you using well water , there is not need if the City does its job. If not you got bigger problems that a micron and carbon will not be able to fix anyway. One more reason to use the whole thing.
    I use my waste water in the garden and even for some juveniles of other species.
    Julian - my recommendation was based on my first hand experience as well and our experience levels seem to be pretty similar. I'm sure your methods have worked for you, but as with most things with discus there are often more than just one way to do things. I've never been able to use all my RO waste water, especially in the winter, and I hate pouring money down the drain.

Your statement about a micron filter and carbon block not fixing problems with city water isn't accurate. Years ago Paul Butler suggested this filtration method to me and it definitely made a difference. He's speaking at the NADA show this year in NJ, maybe we can get together there and discuss it with him.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Sabrina

I have never seen an article claiming that Prime doesn't dextox those elements, it seems odd they would test another brand and then say all brands wouldn't detox nitrite and nitrate, I'm a bit suspect of that review.
    How could such a big reputable company like Seachem claim that its product does those things yet it does not, how could that be legal?

Registered Member

Dechlorinators are all sulfur-based reducing agents and as a class cannot "detoxify" nitrite. If I told you I could bend spoons with my mind, you might put that to the test to humor me but after I failed, would you allow me to whip out the phone book and insist you test everyone else? Or would you just say that humans can't bend spoons with their minds?

Seachem also claims that Prime is 5X more concentrated than competing products but in testing it only neutralizes 20-25% more chlorine for the same volume.

I'm currently looking for a lab to perform ion chromatography tests on Prime. I'm also considering looking for a law firm to file a class action suit against Seachem for making a variety of false claims.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Oh wow, I see your point. Let us know how you get on if you don't mind, id be interested to know the outcome. Thanks for your replies Megalodon

Real Name
    Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    Julian - my recommendation was based on my first hand experience as well and our experience levels seem to be pretty similar. I'm sure your methods have worked for you, but as with most things with discus there are often more than just one way to do things. I've never been able to use all my RO waste water, especially in the winter, and I hate pouring money down the drain.

Your statement about a micron filter and carbon block not fixing problems with city water isn't accurate. Years ago Paul Butler suggested this filtration method to me and it definitely made a difference. He's speaking at the NADA show this year in NJ, maybe we can get together there and discuss it with him.
    Absolutely Keith
    I looking forward to this year NADA. But remember there is a level that we all become opinionated. I don't know Paul Butler in person. Just be advise there are many speakers that sometimes they don't even keep fish anymore . They expend a lot of time traveling. i don't saying this about no one specific , is just my observation.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Maybe prime has some sodium chloride in there as well as the sulfite salt we discussed in the other thread. If it has 'any' chloride in the mixture it could claim to detoxify nitrite.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12