AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to baby discus

Real Name
    Sabrina

Default Re: New to baby discus

Cheers Blue, That's a good idea, I will do it in the coming weeks when everything else settles down a bit

Real Name
    Sabrina

Just did a 80 liter water change on the babies tank, waited 1.5 hours and then did test readings:
    PH 7.6
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20
    KH 71.6
    GH 143.2
    I'm happy with those readings for now, I have asked the local pet store to hold another canister filter aside for me for the grow out tank, its a 224 liter (59 gallon) tank, so the extra filtration will be good for it as I only have a jumbo sponge filter and a 500 liter an hour HOB filter running on it at the moment, which seems to be enough but the fish are only small right now. The babies seem very happy today
    29313355_10214072563901494_1533630553935314944_n.jpg
    29244109_10214072563541485_4430590165500559360_n.jpg
    29244207_10214072563181476_5818218533183553536_n.jpg
    Last edited by Sabrina; 03-16-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Look at this aggression from my babies, it shocks me that being so small they would carry on like this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reapYOapaVU

Real Name
    Filip

Fighting for food and aggressive behaviour during feedings is normal for many fish species , especially for Cichlids.
    Constant chasing and bulling a specific discus on the other hand , can be a problem to worry about.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Cut the cube in half Sabrina and stick each half cube on either side of the tank. This way one fish can not dominant the cube.

Sort of like this. Please excuse the music.

Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 03-22-2018 at 07:24 AM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi Filip, Its really just during the feeding times that this happens yes, I will try cutting the cube like Pat suggests. Thanks guys

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi, I'm having better results with feeding cutting the cubes in half with the babies, though now they seem to be mean to one another even when there is no food in the tank. Cranky little fish lol
    One of the babies is half the size of all the other babies, would this be classed as the runt? It does not seem to be growing at all.. Where as the other 4 are getting bigger by the day!
    Just finished another 2 hour water change on both tanks, cant wait to get the trolley for my new pump/bin set up next week, water changes will be a breeze after that

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lucas Smith

That is awesome music Pat. How many cubes per day were you feeding that batch of fry?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Hi, I'm having better results with feeding cutting the cubes in half with the babies, though now they seem to be mean to one another even when there is no food in the tank. Cranky little fish lol
    One of the babies is half the size of all the other babies, would this be classed as the runt? It does not seem to be growing at all.. Where as the other 4 are getting bigger by the day!
    Just finished another 2 hour water change on both tanks, cant wait to get the trolley for my new pump/bin set up next week, water changes will be a breeze after that
    Good to hear cutting the cube is working Sabrina. Sometimes one does not grow. If it falls too far behind sometimes it is best to cull the runt as often they can become sickly and a health risk to the rest of the batch.

Quote Originally Posted by LJSmith View Post
    That is awesome music Pat. How many cubes per day were you feeding that batch of fry?
    Most likely three so every one got to eat Lucus. There were about 40 fry in that batch.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Sabrina

Cull it Pat? How and what exactly do you mean? Put it to sleep with cloves oil? How could I do that to my baby

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi all,
    Just an update on the babies growth, they are now very close to being 4 months old, I have just tried to measure them, they are 3 inches from nose to end of tail, except the runt who is a bit smaller, they are also just about as high as they are long. Is this a good size for their age? I'm still not seeing any real colour coming out, there is still 2 with orange through their body with black top and bottom fins, the other 3 are white through the body and black and blue through the top and bottom fins.. How much longer do you think before I see some real colours come out? I'm so anxious to see colour!

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Hi all,
    Just an update on the babies growth, they are now very close to being 4 months old, I have just tried to measure them, they are 3 inches from nose to end of tail, except the runt who is a bit smaller, they are also just about as high as they are long. Is this a good size for their age? I'm still not seeing any real colour coming out, there is still 2 with orange through their body with black top and bottom fins, the other 3 are white through the body and black and blue through the top and bottom fins.. How much longer do you think before I see some real colours come out? I'm so anxious to see colour!
    Are you certain of their age Sabrina and did you hand measured them ?
    3 inch size for a 4 month discus is a reasonable growth rate .
    Colouring is very dependant and variable with the discus strain type and its parents genetics .
    Very aproximately taken , at 6 months of age they should start showing their colours IMO .

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi Filip,
    Yes they attached to their parents on the 10th December 2017, so that makes them almost 4 months old now. I did measure them by looking at their size and comparing it to my measure tape, I cant be 100% sure but they are very close to 3 inches at my guess.
    Their parents were a PB and Melon, so I expect red or orange colours with a pattern maybe. If its 6 months I only have 2 months to wait
    Thank you for your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12