AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to baby discus

Real Name
    Sabrina

Default New to baby discus

Hello all,
    I am not new to discus but I am new to having baby discus. I have feeding schedule questions, I am not sure if I am feeding them enough or if I am feeding them the correct foods either.
    I currently have 2 babies (picking up 3 more from the same batch in the next few days), they are housed in a 4 foot 224 liter (59 gallon) grow out tank, I have had them 2 weeks now. I am currently feeding them 3 times a day. The foods include, Hikari bio-gold beefheart pellets, Aqua One Discus bits and Australian black worms with Spinach freeze dried cubes. Are these foods good or if not can you please suggest better options for me. These babies attached to the parents on the 10th December 2017, so that makes them 3 months old now.. Any help or advice would be great thank you

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: New to baby discus

Hi Sabrina,
    I think your foods and schedule sound good. Just be sure to clean up frequently. You didn't say how big the are, but if they're big enough to eat what you're feeding, then I think you're fine.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi Rogue,

Thank you for your response, I'm glad it seems to be the right foods and feedings per day. I would say the babies are around 2.5 inches from tip of tail to nose at the moment, its very hard to measure them though. Here is 2 pics of them taken just now.

28872541_10213991756241353_7064844370079383552_n.jpg

28950934_10213991756561361_4310507999505416192_n.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Steve

Yes, that sounds about right for the size. I encourage you to read up in the beginners and general section. I don't use gravel, but it has a reputation for building up waste and eventually causing water quality problems for young discus.

Real Name
    Sabrina

That is actually sand, in all the above photos. I know in the top photos it looks like gravel, but I can assure you it is sand, perhaps because it is brand new sand it looks like that?

Real Name
    Mervin

I would get rid of that much substrate.A fine layer to subdue their reflections might be ok but that is not a good start for baby discus.It might look nicer but BB is much better for maintenance and better growth.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi Blue,

Thank you for your comment, I'm going to try with the sand for a few weeks, if I start having trouble I will take the tank down and remove all the sand. I am picking up the other 3 baby discus this afternoon, so that will be 5 babies I will have in the grow out tank. They are 3 months old, all from the same batch of babies.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Your not gonna get too many folks here liking your sand esp for babies lol. I use sand also, a very good sand, i use the National geogrphic sand from pet smart and I lay down a heavy bed, 5 inches at the least and more in some areas. I have a 450 gal tank with 7 discus and about 100 tetras with a few corys and 3 orange seam plecos. I do 1 major water clean per week and 2 or 3 times per week I vacuum out the area where most of the waste gathers. I have malaysian driftwood mixed with a large manzanete stump. The discus go from 6" to 3" with an F1 in the mix. I use two cannister filters and my ammonia is 0 and my nitrates go from about 5 to 10ppm. The tank is brand new as are the pumps and its been cycled about two months with the tertras and co. before i put the discus in last week. You sound experienced in the care of discus so you know to keep your sand clean, my tank is four foot deep so I've invented tools to do the job. Just to ask sabrina, where are you located, are you in Australia? I'm in California and the best Black worms come from Dan's California Black worms, healthy fresh live food for discus, heck I feed them to all my fish 90% of the time.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi George

Yes I know no one would like the fact I have sand in my grow out tank. The sand wont kill them, it just means extra work for me cleaning it all the time. I dislike bear bottom tanks, they are not a natural environment for discus.
    I wouldn't say I am experienced with Discus yet, I had them 18 months ago for a year, but they were juvies, but not as young as the babies I have now. I also have 5 adult discus now too, so with the babies and adults I have little experience. I have been keeping fish for 2 and a half years all together now, so I know the basics of fish keeping. I had a difficult time with my first lot of discus 18 months ago, they got sick with all types of illnesses and my inexperience didn't help, I rushed into it at the time, something I would not recommend to anyone else. I have learnt a lot from my early mistakes and I am trying not to make as many this time around.
    I am located in Victoria, Australia, 2 hours north of Melbourne.
    With the live black worms you are feeding your fish, I have read on a number of occasions that blood/black worms are not a stable diet for discus, and that those black worms can carry parasites. I have always been told to feed discus blood/black worms as a treat once a day or less, and to feed them more of the pellets and flake foods. Ive also heard negative reports about beefheart foods, and that they should be fed sparingly too if at all. Might be something you want to research. I personally feed mine a little bit of everything, I try to keep it mixed up so they get a variety of foods. I know I would hate eating the same thing day in day out, so I mix it up for all my pets
    Are you able to upload a photo of your huge tank George? Id love to see it!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Sure Sabrina I can and will load a few pics, but I usually post at work and our company computers are so restricted i can't capture the photos off my phone to the computers so I have to do it at my home computer as also my cell is way to complicated when it comes to loading pics to this website. The black worms i feed are probably the best food you can purchase. Dan's Calif Black worms are clean and safe, you can read about them on Simply Discus and you can ask anyone here about them. They are NOT tubifex garbage, and they will not pollute your tank as they stay alive and your fish can hunt them down which they love. yes other worms I'd be careful with but Dan's black worms have no parasites or diseases and are always fresh upon delivery. I do mix a few other foods such as Northfin Pellets and Krill, but my fish are getting spoiled and prefer the worms sometimes just looking at the pellets as they sink lol. My tank is a blackwater tank and i use Fluval peat moss and the driftwood to blacken, so I have white sand and dark wood. I designed the tank specifically for Discus as they love deep water and I gave them four feet of it. I believe the beefheart's only drawback is the filth it produces, but the fish love it. I would think that logically live food would be the best. Anything processed, according to MY way of thinking cannot be that good for you or any animal...but thats just me.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi George,
    Well if you can load a photo that would be awesome, but no matter if you cant.
    I am glad to hear the worms you use are parasite free, I actually hadn't heard of those here in Australia, though I'm sure we have something similar.
    I have to agree about the processed foods though without them it leaves us little variety to feed our fish.
    All up though, if your fish are happy and healthy you must be doing something right

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hello all,
    My babies are good but I'm a bit worried, they seem to be fighting a lot, I was just watching them and they almost locked mouths in a fight. Is this normal for such young discus? 3 of them are really mean to each other, head butting and chasing?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Sabrina, aggression with young discus is normal. The smaller the group for more aggression you might see. Adding three more young discus will help but we generally recommend group of 6 or more. I will second the removal of the sand. Once you add three more to the tank you may be surprised at the waste these guys can create. Being BB will only be temporary and your babies will be so much more healthy and happy.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hey Pat,
    Thank you for taking time to respond, I thought 5 was a good number, and for my tank size 224 liter (59 gallons) I also thought 5 was enough so they had plenty of room to grow out. I will think about the chance of getting 1 or 2 more in the next 2 weeks, and removing the sand at this stage will stress not only me out but the babies too, but I will start making plans to do so in the coming weeks. Thanks again

Real Name
    Mervin

Hi,I changed out a 6 ft.tank of substrate form gravel to sand a few weeks ago for my Geophagus Proximus.I found the best way is to siphon it out with a hose along with the WC's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast