Cafepress Store     Aquatic foods

Thread: Feeding meal worms to Discus

Registered Member LizStreithorst's Avatar
    iTrader
    12 (100%)

Default Feeding meal worms to Discus

I'm posting this here because I don't think that anyone has tried this before. I'm going to try feeding my Discus meal worms. I have a supply because I breed them for the chickens and the wild birds. When I first thought about feeding them to the fish I rejected the idea because the worms have an hard exoskeleton. Today as I was separating beetles from larvae it occurred to me that if I were to slice the worm in half or thirds the fish could get to the juicy good stuff and leave the shell for me to suck up at WC..

I'd only toss them the worms once or twice a week. From what I have read they are very fatty. Besides, I'm the one who will have to cut the nasty worms in half. \

Any thoughts about my idea other than the fact that I can think up some weird stuff?
    Mama Bear

iTrader
    4 (100%)

Default Re: Feeding meal worms to Discus

Hey Liz, seems like mealworms are a go: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...7615-Mealworms

Registered Member LizStreithorst's Avatar
    iTrader
    12 (100%)

Default Re: Feeding meal worms to Discus

And here I was thinking that this was something never attempted. I'm embarrassed. I should have done a search. Thanks for doing it for me. Even with the white ones I still worry about it clogging up the Discus' guts. I'm going to cut them up and let the fish peck the good stuff out.
    Mama Bear