ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Help with tank turn-over rate

Real Name
    Mark

Default Help with tank turn-over rate

I'm interested in finding out what is the best rate of turn over for Discus? Current build is a 245 display with a 180 basement sump. Also looking for recommendations on a return pump that will handle 12' of head pressure. I've been considering a Reeflow Sword tail

Registered Member

Default Re: Help with tank turn-over rate

generally speaking 5-10 times the volume of the aquarium is considered a good turn over , however it has been my experience that pump ratings are optimistic at best .
    also , why make your sump in the basement and pump that water 12 feet up , that takes a lot of power and $$.
    i made my sumps right under the tank with an overflow to the waste in the basement so there can never be a flood in the living room .
    my 2 c'
    BTW i used grundfoss 3 speed circulating pumps ,....quiet and use little current .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bethany

Quote Originally Posted by Cove Beach View Post
    I'm interested in finding out what is the best rate of turn over for Discus? Current build is a 245 display with a 180 basement sump. Also looking for recommendations on a return pump that will handle 12' of head pressure. I've been considering a Reeflow Sword tail
    Is the piping 12 feet straight up?
    Long time fish nerd... just getting started with Discus and I am starting to realize how little I know!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Benjie

Quote Originally Posted by klr-dude View Post
    generally speaking 5-10 times the volume of the aquarium is considered a good turn over , however it has been my experience that pump ratings are optimistic at best .
    also , why make your sump in the basement and pump that water 12 feet up , that takes a lot of power and $$.
    i made my sumps right under the tank with an overflow to the waste in the basement so there can never be a flood in the living room .
    my 2 c'
    BTW i used grundfoss 3 speed circulating pumps ,....quiet and use little current .
    wd never use a ch pump in an aquatic system....would worry about leaching of metals from the pump. its meant for central heating, using fernox type additives. I use Jebco pumps which work ok for me, they have good speed controls at a competitive price.