AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: What to expect?

Real Name
    Sabrina

Question What to expect?

Hi all,

I now own 5 baby discus, they are 3 months old, they attached to their parents on the 10th December 2017. Their father, the Red Melon, use to belong to me 18 months ago, I kept in contact with the current owner all this time and when he had babies she contacted me to see if I wanted to buy some. Well here I am now with 5 of them in my 224 liter (59 gallon) grow out tank wondering what they will turn out like. Does anyone know what colours I might expect to see in these babies or is it too hard to tell? I have attached a photo of the parents below. The babies are still currently white, with small amounts of orange and blue colours through their fins

28951502_10214001007432627_1584571619139911680_o.jpg

Registered Member

Default Re: What to expect?

I have 6 juvies with the same cross as you. They where also a whitish orange when I got them at 3 months, a few months later and they are staring to turn more orange and show some white patches. The ones that where grown out with the breeders previous batches looked like the one on the left but with a more orange body and less white patches.

Here's how they look now at 5 months. The orange halo also carried over it seems.
    IMG_20180305_163735.jpg

Real Name
    Sabrina

Oh! What a cutie Beestie
    Thank you for that, I did notice one or two of the babies has a orange tint all over, maybe they will end up like this one in your photo

Registered Member

Found a pic what they looked like when I got them. Does yours look similar to this?
    IMG_20171209_190333.jpg

Real Name
    Sabrina

Yea a little bit, but mine are much more white at the moment. I will try to get a good photo of them in the morning, its only 3.30am here right now..

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Yea a little bit, but mine are much more white at the moment. I will try to get a good photo of them in the morning, its only 3.30am here right now..
    Oh my gosh Sabrina you have real babies, how wonderful. Good luck and I hope they stay healthy for you as they will need a lot of TLC.
    George

Real Name
    Sabrina

Yes George I do, thank you

These photos didn't turn out well but here they are this morning..

28870119_10214008841708479_3031638988420022272_n.jpg
    28872238_10214008840228442_7461281890293514240_n.jpg

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Sabrina,
    I hope more folks with experience will chime in here. I almost posted earlier to say I remembered the patterning developing with age, I think like Wesley was suggesting, when I bred some PB several years ago. Yours. however, look much whiter. I remember reading that white is a dominant characteristic in PB genetics. Maybe both the parents had that in their background. But I still wouldn't be surprised if they looked quite different in six months.

You'll want to avoid any stress factors, and keep good water quality, to minimize the peppering. The white sand is probably a positive, color wise, if you can keep it clean

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi Rogue

Thank you for your comments again. I am doing water changes once a day for these little guys, my temp is 30c and I have 2 filters running and a 30cm air curtain too, with 1 fake plant and 2 pieces of driftwood, very simple set up.
    Their father had a lot of peppering on his nose when he was younger, I owned him 18 odd months ago. Does peppering get passed on? I thought it might and that's why my babies have it.. But I thought it was caused by a dark environment normally..
    Yes they seem to just love the sand, picking around on it at the foods.

Real Name
    Steve

I'm sure commercial breeders have worked over the years to select for less peppering, but I think it's potentially still there in many PB's even if they don't show it. I think in the earliest PB's, you could think of it as the stress bars spread out. But there are many PB strains these days that have been bred for specific traits. I think when you start crossing those strain's, what you see is often the background traits they had in common, rather than the special traits, and that might include peppering. Peppering can be their equivalent to stress bars, and yes, lighter environments can help minimize it.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Thank you for that info