AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus not eating

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Christian Pollich

Unhappy Discus not eating

Hello, I have gotten some new discus for my 55 gallon and the yellow one is not eating, but I have had them for 4 days now and am thinking that he would be dead by now if he wasn’t eating I have some smaller discus with him and they go crazy for food any suggestions to get him eating???
    Last edited by Christian55; 03-09-2018 at 01:27 AM.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Default Re: Discus not eating

Hello Christian,

If all else fails you can always try soaking the food in Garlic Guard by Seachem if your discus wont eat or are fussy eaters, you can order it online from ebay. What are you feeding them? Are the Discus the only fish in the tank? I imagine your tank was cycled before you put them in it? What is the temp of the water? Do you have test kit readings you could share with us of your water quality?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Christian Pollich

I feed them blood worms and tetra color, the discus r the only fish in the tank but I am thinking of putting some cardinal tetras in there my temp is about 84 degrees Fahrenheit and all the other discus r extreme ly happy and my ph is 7.0 my nitrates is 0 and everything reads perfect how do I post a picture???

Real Name
    Sabrina

Ok first thing I notice is you said your Nitrate is 0? This tell me your tank is not cycled yet. Do you use the API master test kit? If so please tell us the exact readings for PH, Ammonia, Nitirte and Nitrate...
    Secondly, your temp is ok but could be changed up to 86 for best results.
    What is tetra color? Is that discus foods?
    To insert a photo, look above the post window and you will see icons, hold your curser over them until you find one that says Insert Image...

Real Name
    Sabrina

@RogueDiscus can you help here too please?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Christian Pollich

it says i have to upload a file sorry i dont know what to do

Real Name
    Sabrina

Insert image, click on from computer, then browse, choose photo, then click on Upload File(s)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Christian Pollich

Default Discus not eating

Hello I have gotten some discus and have had them for about 4 days now, and they all love the tank accept for a yellow one that I have bought he does not eat at all, but then it gets me thinking that he has to be eating if he’s survived for 4 days now any suggestions???

Real Name
    Patty

I’m no authority on Discus, but I’ve read a lot of threads here and I can tell you that discus can go a long time without eating. In fact, when on vacation, I’ve learned it’s best to not feed them and have followed that advice for 2 weeks without problems. Also large water changes makes them hungry, happy and feisty. You want to age and heat your water and use Prime which removes chlorine and chloramine from fresh water. A quick search here on “discus not eating” will provide a wealth of information! Hope your yellow guy gets his appetite back soon.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Christian, a few questions; is your tank experiencing a mini-cycle, what's your temp and water change schedule. What size are your new discus. Are they being QTed away from other fish?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Christian, I have merged your two "Discus not eating" threads. It might be best for you to answer the questions in the disease questionnaire which is available here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete. Please post the questionnaire here with completed answers.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening