AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 4-4.5" Discus

Registered Member

Default 4-4.5" Discus

hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'm probably going to start a tank stocked will only discus in June. I have had discus before, with no success due to the fact that I was a "beginner" and did not know that they required pristine water, etc. I do believe I am capable of keeping discus now. For that reason, I'm wondering if 4 to 4.5 inch discus are "easier" or less demanding to care for rather than the 2 to 3.5 inch specimens.

Real Name
    Mervin

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: 4-4.5" Discus

Definitely start with larger discus. These days, I end up buying the largest fish I can afford. Someone else has put 50 - 100 extra water changes in and what you get will much more resemble what you'll end up with. Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Definitely start with larger discus. These days, I end up buying the largest fish I can afford. Someone else has put 50 - 100 extra water changes in and what you get will much more resemble what you'll end up with. Good luck, Willie
    Is 4.5 inches big enough?

Real Name
    Jeff

The real question is how often and how much water can you commit to changing? At 2.5" you're looking at 90% daily. At 4.5" id still like to see 50% daily changes. At 5.5" you could go to every other day.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mickie

I'm new to Discus, and my 4" Snakeskin is by far the most active, happy fish in my tank. Really glad I got this one. Acclimated super easy, ate the 2nd day, colored up quickly. All my other ones are smaller, and the smallest 3" one was definitely the shyest, skiddish one (Even when it was only him and a 3.5" to begin with).

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bethany

Quote Originally Posted by SNap0283 View Post
    The real question is how often and how much water can you commit to changing? At 2.5" you're looking at 90% daily. At 4.5" id still like to see 50% daily changes. At 5.5" you could go to every other day.
    90% daily? Isn't that stressful for the fish?
    Long time fish nerd... just getting started with Discus and I am starting to realize how little I know!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

[QUOTE=OCC Aquarium;1283625]90% daily? Isn't that stressful for the fish?[/Q

Depends on your water quality, your systems ability to clean your water and by system I mean your tank pumps and substrate and how it all interacts. I couldn't do 90% daily water changes, but i have a 450gal tank that has 7 discus in it. I do a major water change once a week and another weekly water change that is minor. Major is around 100 gallons and minor is half that, i also have driftwood that will soften water as well as a deep sand substrate. Tank mates include 3 plecos and 100 tetras. My water parameters are amm=0; nitites=0; ph=6.6; nitrates= 5...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bethany

[QUOTE=geo57;1283627]
    Quote Originally Posted by OCC Aquarium View Post
    90% daily? Isn't that stressful for the fish?[/Q

Depends on your water quality, your systems ability to clean your water and by system I mean your tank pumps and substrate and how it all interacts. I couldn't do 90% daily water changes, but i have a 450gal tank that has 7 discus in it. I do a major water change once a week and another weekly water change that is minor. Major is around 100 gallons and minor is half that, i also have driftwood that will soften water as well as a deep sand substrate. Tank mates include 3 plecos and 100 tetras. My water parameters are amm=0; nitites=0; ph=6.6; nitrates= 5...
    Do you mind if I ask how you keep your pH low and stable?
    Long time fish nerd... just getting started with Discus and I am starting to realize how little I know!

Real Name
    Mervin

Doing large frequent WC's will keep you water much more stable than small infrequent ones.The greater and the more frequent the water change,makes it less likely not to deplete as fast.In time small WC's could lead to "old tank syndrome".But by this time with discus they seem to weaken and stress out from all organics in our water;someother species can handle this longer and better..

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

[QUOTE=OCC Aquarium;1283640]
    Quote Originally Posted by geo57 View Post

Do you mind if I ask how you keep your pH low and stable?
    Sure you may, first i have great water, my ph once my tap water is stabilized is about 7.4...I use Fluval peat moss in my pump and in my water storage, along with all the driftwood in my tank. That's it and my tank parameters do not change. When i do water changes my water supply is about 7 but once it mixes with my tank water it stays the same at 6.6/6.8 Now my tank is big, 450 gallons and my fish are few, 7 discus, 3 plecos and about 100 tetras of assorted kinds, and my water parameters are solid not much difference before and after WC's.