Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Water change Supervisors

Real Name
    Sabrina

Cool Water change Supervisors

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Water change Supervisors

It would make things a whole lot easier to have a hose to reach a toilet,bath tube or even a window or door..I did that once,but had to make it easier and less time consuming.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi Blue
    Yes it is time consuming, takes 2 hours for water changes lol I do have a back door close to the tanks and a hose but I am fickle with my water changes, the water must be treated before it goes in the tank, as with hose the water is just going straight into the tank without treatment. That's why I use buckets so I can treat the water with Prime first before I put it in the tank, I think its the safest way to do it.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Hi Blue
    Yes it is time consuming, takes 2 hours for water changes lol I do have a back door close to the tanks and a hose but I am fickle with my water changes, the water must be treated before it goes in the tank, as with hose the water is just going straight into the tank without treatment. That's why I use buckets so I can treat the water with Prime first before I put it in the tank, I think its the safest way to do it.
    Hi Sabrina, You could also add Prime to the tank vs the buckets prior to filling the tank from the buckets. I use food grade brute cans for my new water for my water changes. The brute can allows me to age the water prior to use. Just some considerations.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Mauro

Cute pets! From what I can see the discus look good too.

As Pat mentioned, there is not need to carry water on buckets. Based on how I do water changes here is what I recommend:

1) Get a Brute trash can like this one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubberma...1187/202649169

2) Set the can in your service area, bathroom or any other area. Use a hose to fill the can. This will allow you to aerate and heat the water for 24 hours or so before water changes;

3) Get a pump. I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Quiet-One-Lif.../dp/B005F5DG4C

With some plastic tubing you can pump water from the tank to a bath tub and then from your Brute can to the fish tank. Everything fast with no need to carry buckets.

I change 40g in my 70g fish tank. The whole process takes 30 minutes.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hello Pat and BR, thank you guys for your replies here..

These suggestions sound amazing, 2 hour water changes suck lol

I have checked both the links, I'm not sure I can get that exact Brute trash can here in Australia, but I will check Ebay for it, and also the pump, maybe I can find it on ebay too! I will report back with my findings later tonight

Real Name
    Sabrina

This is what happens when I sit down and leave my fish alone and turn on some music lol

29136307_10214040042728485_6171378098907381760_o.jpg

Real Name
    Sabrina

@DiscusBR,
    I have checked Ebay for those products just now, those trash cans are only imports from the USA and the price is huge! I will go to my local Bunnings warehouse and see what I can source from there, does it have to be food grade plastic or will any type of plastic trash bin be ok? With the pump, I also checked Ebay, I cant get the brand you showed me, all the ones that came up here were submersible ones, is that what I need? Thanks in advance

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Sabrina, I would suggest food grade is possible. The reason for this is so the plastic does not leach anything harmful into the water. I can ask another member from Australia to pop in if you like.
    Pat

Real Name
    Mauro

@DiscusBR,
    I have checked Ebay for those products just now, those trash cans are only imports from the USA and the price is huge! I will go to my local Bunnings warehouse and see what I can source from there, does it have to be food grade plastic or will any type of plastic trash bin be ok?
    As Pat says, any plastic container that is food grade works. It does not need to be a Brute trash can. I just thought you were in the US.

With the pump, I also checked Ebay, I cant get the brand you showed me, all the ones that came up here were submersible ones, is that what I need? Thanks in advance
    You can get any submersible pump, it does not need to be the same brand. Just check the gallon/liters per hour flow. If you buy a smaller, less potent pump, then your WC will take longer. The one I use, which is in the link, transfers 758 gallons per hour.

Real Name
    Mauro

Also, make sure that heater is off during WCs. It should be submersed all times. You might want to put it horizontally and low in the tank to avoid potential issues (like forgetting to turn it off during WCs).

Real Name
    Sabrina

Thanks Pat, food grade is what I will look for now, yes if you can please ask your friend from Aussie to drop by, maybe they know of a source here where I can buy a large bin from

DiscusBR, I have noted all you said thank you. With the heaters, I turn them both off 30 minutes prior to taking the water out of the tanks, its a ritual so I doubt I will forget it, though your right, I have once forgot to turn one back on after the water change years ago (during winter) and I woke the next morning to find my discus tank at a low 18c!! Thankfully my discus at the time survived my stupidity that day. Maybe your right, perhaps I should place the heaters lower so as to not forget

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Hello Pat and BR, thank you guys for your replies here..

These suggestions sound amazing, 2 hour water changes suck lol

I have checked both the links, I'm not sure I can get that exact Brute trash can here in Australia, but I will check Ebay for it, and also the pump, maybe I can find it on ebay too! I will report back with my findings later tonight
    Hi Sabrina.

Its nice to see another hobbyist on here from Australia. I'm from Melbourne. Where are you from?
    I hate to think that you are being consumed doing very necessary water changes, and as others have suggested your process can be stream lined and made easier.

Not sure if i read correctly but are you dumping your used water in a tank? When i drain my aquariums the used water goes straight down the closest drain or with a slightly longer hose out the door and on my lawns

As far as aged water goes, i started by using 'willow' plastic rubbish bins that can be purchased from your local Bunnings store for $16.50. If you can source food grade containers that will be much safer in the long run, but i had never had any issues. I have since learnt that we have excellent water straight out of the tap in Melbourne, and the reason i only do 30% water changes every 4th or 5th day with a little prime added straight to the tank,with out any issues.

476bc27f-2dcf-42e7-b765-e83574a43c53.jpg

The reason i keep the water changes at 30% is not to alter the water temperature by more that 2 degrees, but if you want to do larger changes by all means store the water overnight and heat an aerate it.

I started a thread of my journey when i purchased by group of Juveniles at about 30mm and they grew nicely to 170mm in a year. They currently sit at around 200mm and am now enjoying the next stage of breeding off them.

You can see my journey here and i am sure you can apply the same or similar husbandry

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ck-into-Discus

Don't hesitate to ask questions, as there are lots of people that are willing to help you on here.

Good luck with your journey...Keep it simple and enjoyable
    Last edited by two utes; 03-13-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks for chiming in Joe
    Pat

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hello Joe

I'm just an hour and a half up the highway from you at Castlemaine.. So not far, If I hadn't just brought my new baby discus I could have brought some off you!

I am dumping the used tank water straight down the drain. I use fresh tap water to refill the tank, I run warm water into the buckets from the kitchen sink, test with my finger for the temp and I'm usually stop on within 1-2C temp to the tank. I sit the buckets in front of the tank and stir in Prime, I think put the water straight into the tank. That is my ritual at the moment, but will soon change when I can buy the trash can from Bunnings later this week, I will then be able to age the water ect as you mentioned. Thank you for the help on this!
    I will have a read of your journey a little later today, it will be a good read I'm sure and I might learn a few things! I have also started a post on my journey here, I'm a bit of a talker so I'm sure most people wont read it being so long winded lol
    Thank you again for dropping by here, hopefully we can keep in touch and maybe meet up one day seeing that your not far from me

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast