AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water change Supervisors

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Water change Supervisors

You're very welcomed Sabrina.

Bunnings also sell submersible water pumps in their garden section that you can place in the bottom of the bin...the bigger the pump, the quicker you'll get the job done.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Sabrina

Ok great, thanks a million! I will check both products out hopefully in the next week. It might sounds silly but do I also need a hose to connect to the pump, I'm not a technical minded person, or does the pump come with a hose? I can just see me flooding my house lol I will also need 2 bins as I have 2 tanks, I have room for 1 of the bins, and i'll have to make room somehow for the other one.

Real Name
    Mauro

This video will give you an idea how to make WCs with a pump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKSWr8nLpk8

You need plastic tubing in the right diameter to connect to the pump.

Instead of getting 2 bins for 2 different tanks, just get one larger bin.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi DiscusBR,
    I just watched that video, looks like I can empty the water out of the tank with the pump too, my only issue on that is how to hold the tubing down in the sink while its pumping the water out. Second issue is I have glass lids on my fish tanks, I'm wondering how to hold down the tubing when refilling the tank, i guess i could buy a clamp of some type, i think ive just had a brain wave, i can get clamps, one to hold onto the tuning on the sink and then use it to clamp the tubing to the tank while filling!! I'm getting technical now haha this could be fun
    Ok so, i have just figured out i will need another heater for the bin, i have a spare air pump so i just need air stones to aerate the water in the bin too. This little project is going to be costly, but i know it will make things easier in the long run.

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    I just watched that video, looks like I can empty the water out of the tank with the pump too, my only issue on that is how to hold the tubing down in the sink while its pumping the water out. Second issue is I have glass lids on my fish tanks, I'm wondering how to hold down the tubing when refilling the tank, i guess i could buy a clamp of some type, i think ive just had a brain wave, i can get clamps, one to hold onto the tuning on the sink and then use it to clamp the tubing to the tank while filling!! I'm getting technical now haha this could be fun
    Yes, you can hold the plastic tubing with a clamp like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/UEETEK-Adjust...sr_1_8?ie=UTF8

Ok so, i have just figured out i will need another heater for the bin, i have a spare air pump so i just need air stones to aerate the water in the bin too. This little project is going to be costly, but i know it will make things easier in the long run.
    It is worth it! WCs will be much easier after that.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Cheers DiscusBR, I'm planning on going to Bunnings later this morning for the bins and clamps, and i'll grab a couple of air stones too. The pump and heater will have to wait until next weeks pay day
    I will report back with my shopping items later today, cant wait to have everything so i can put this little project into motion!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Hello Joe

I'm just an hour and a half up the highway from you at Castlemaine.. So not far, If I hadn't just brought my new baby discus I could have brought some off you!

I am dumping the used tank water straight down the drain. I use fresh tap water to refill the tank, I run warm water into the buckets from the kitchen sink, test with my finger for the temp and I'm usually stop on within 1-2C temp to the tank. I sit the buckets in front of the tank and stir in Prime, I think put the water straight into the tank. That is my ritual at the moment, but will soon change when I can buy the trash can from Bunnings later this week, I will then be able to age the water ect as you mentioned. Thank you for the help on this!
    I will have a read of your journey a little later today, it will be a good read I'm sure and I might learn a few things! I have also started a post on my journey here, I'm a bit of a talker so I'm sure most people wont read it being so long winded lol
    Thank you again for dropping by here, hopefully we can keep in touch and maybe meet up one day seeing that your not far from me
    Everyone is already on top of you for making sure you get the water aged, but I cant express it enough to do it ASAP. I killed one of my first Discus pretty quickly by doing the exact same method before I realized that my water comes out of the tap around 6.5 ph but then aged it jumps to 8.5-9. That flux in my PH levels for almost 4 weeks def did one of my young guys in
    Also, at least here in the states, dont use warm/hot water from the tap as a lot contains minerals/metals that are not present in cold water.

Cold water, trash can, heater and a air stone and your set to go.
    Personally on my 125g a 40g change takes me no more then 10 min. PVC rigged as a drain for the tank will drain 40g in about 1 minutes. Then a sump pump into the clean water can takes about 2 minutes to pump 40 back into the tank. The most time is spend siphoning, but if in a huge pinch I could easily do a change in 5 minutes. All about doing a little work now, creating some specific tools and making life later MUCH easier. Hell when I started Id lug 8-10 5g buckets up 2 flights of stairs lol so you're better off already.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hello BmoreBraap,
    I'm sorry you lost your little guy, its hard when that happens. I'm pretty sure my tap water PH is 7.6 here, should I be careful when aging the water that the PH does not go higher?
    Also, if i am using the air stones in the aged water, what does that do exactly? Does doing that mean I don't have to use Prime in that new water?
    Oh my, lugging buckets up 2 flights of stairs lol What a job!
    Yes, i cant wait to go shopping this morning, its only 5.30am here and I'm dressed waiting for the store to open lol

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hello BmoreBraap,
    I'm sorry you lost your little guy, its hard when that happens. I'm pretty sure my tap water PH is 7.6 here, should I be careful when aging the water that the PH does not go higher?
    Also, if i am using the air stones in the aged water, what does that do exactly? Does doing that mean I don't have to use Prime in that new water?
    Oh my, lugging buckets up 2 flights of stairs lol What a job!
    Yes, i cant wait to go shopping this morning, its only 5.30am here and I'm dressed waiting for the store to open lol
    Hi Sabrina, the airstone in the aging process serves to handle any ph swing there might be. Best to have the swing in the aging barrow vs the tank.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

Found that hose holder on ebay for $1& change. WOW!

Real Name
    Sabrina

Cheers Pat,
    I thought the air stones aged the water so you didn't need to use a declorinator like Prime, I heard when tap water sits out in buckets the chlorine and chloramine evaporate?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Not sure about chloramine Sabrina, I think you need something external (like prime) to break the chlorine/ammonia bond.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Sabrina

Ah right, thanks again Pat, I will use the Prime anyway, id hate to poison my fish

Real Name
    Sabrina

Ok so due to other more important things my garbage bin and pump project has been put on hold right now, I will return to this thread once I have all the parts I need over the next 2 weeks

Real Name
    Kevin

Cheers Pat,
    I thought the air stones aged the water so you didn't need to use a declorinator like Prime, I heard when tap water sits out in buckets the chlorine and chloramine evaporate?
    Chloramine will not evaporate like chlorine does, you definitely need prime to break it down. My water here is treated with chloramine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast