AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: South american Puffer

Registered Member

Default South american Puffer

So about 8 months ago I took a risk with a pair of South America puffers. I haven't seen much on them regarding discus so thought I would post my findings. First off let me start by saying I'm not saying they are perfect for all tanks just sharing what I have observed in my set up. I have a 150 g tall 4'x2'x30"tall I have 7 6"-7" Stenker discus, rummy nose tetra, gbr, flame rio tetra, snowball pleco and snails. Now for the puffer.... I bought them on eBay and treated them for velvet as I've read most of them carry it from the wild. I quarantined them two weeks and haven't looked back since. These little buggers are a blast. They feed off my hakari discus frozen food which is a mix of man made worm like food and blood worms. They also go after my beef heart mix but they like the hakari most. I've never witnessed them fin nipping but can't be sure they wouldn't try it if my discus weren't large. When in quarantine they swam up and down all day long along the glass but once added to my large tank they swim around together for the most part and they kind of nonchalantly flutter around the tank. I change about 80% of my tank water every three days so my conditions stay pretty pristine. Overall, these little guys seem to do just fine with other fish. Just be sure you get the South American variety because most puffers need brackish water these guys do not.
    IMG_0013.jpg

Real Name
    Sabrina

Default Re: South american Puffer

Oh my goodness, how cute is that little puffer lol I want one immediately!
    Ive never heard of the puffers with discus, it is quiet a risk I imagine, your very game. The puffer looks small in the photo, will it grow bigger? Is it poisonous?

Registered Member

They are full grown about 1.5 to 2 inches not poisonous to touch only poisonous if it is eaten which they are too
    big for a discus to eat

Real Name
    Sabrina

Ah so they stay small, I was imagining a big fat puffer fish I think you find in the sea lol
    Oh, so they are poisonous. I hope you continue to have luck with them, keep us posted on how they go

Real Name
    Shari

Wink Re: South american Puffer

I might take the plunge and acquire a few of those and quarantine the heck out of them...

They're prone to ick when you first get them but pretty hardy after that. I had a group of 8 with a big school of either CW009 or 010. Some of the cories were losing their dorsals, so the puffers were rehomed. Fun fish but too nippy for cats. They LOVED FD plankton.

Real Name
    Kevin

I have a figure 8 puffer in a 75 gallon along with a few angels. He doesn't mess with the angels but has killed a few molly's when he was in a different tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Once they get big you will have random fish start to die. There isn’t much they won’t try to take a bite off of. We kept them for over a year with no problem then slowly the tank mates started to disappear.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filthyfish View Post
    Once they get big you will have random fish start to die. There isn’t much they won’t try to take a bite off of. We kept them for over a year with no problem then slowly the tank mates started to disappear.
    He just mentioned in the first post that these are dwarf puffers and hence won't grow big (max out at 2 inches).

Though this experiment is interesting as if they thrive with Discus, could be a new compatible fish with discus for many of us to try.

Registered Member

double post

Registered Member

I am curious how this is going months later

Registered Member

Any updates on this?