ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 125 gal redo

Real Name
    Patty

Default 125 gal redo

Yesterday we took the fish, plants, sand and filthy water out of the 125. Step 1 in getting it Discus ready. I have 5 cories, some tetras & 5 electric blues. I'm using seachem stability and so far my clean up crew are okay. I put a lot of the plants in the sump just floating for now. I'm growing out 10 discus in a 75 gal. I've got a few months before adding the discus. Have a hero picked out.
    I'll see if I can add a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pices; 11-12-2016 at 11:32 PM.

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: 125 gal redo

IMG_1578.jpg
    One more

Wow Patty! That is gorgeous! Love the wood and especially the open space in the middle. They are going to love weaving around in there. It is so hard to wait isn't it? It will be spectacular!

You are the first person I have seen here with a corner flow. Do you have trouble with dead spots? I had to put a power head it to help keep the BB clean and get stuff back over toward the intake. I didn't like having to increase the flow but it really needed it. Mine is really hard to get into the corner flow to clean too. Have had my arm stuck in there a few too many times. My checkerboard loves to lay eggs on it though!

Good luck when you move them in. Can't wait to see!
    Last edited by Jenene; 11-13-2016 at 12:44 AM.

Real Name
    Patty

Thanks Jenene. I tried to post another pic last night but my I pad was giving me grief. I'll try again.IMG_1579.jpg
    I do have 2 dead spots in the corners and was worried about it. How do you have your powerhead set up to move detritus off the bottom? I had to turn the flow down for my crew because the little ones kept getting sucked into the overflow. I still had dead spots with full flow. I put in a black mesh over it(the overflow) yesterday (gutter guard) . It was such a pain to get them out of the corner flow! It is nearly impossible to clean that overflow corner. I'll need a tool for sure. I have another question. How do you clean your sump? That miracle mud is so fine and quickly displaces anytime I try to clean and that's with the pumps off! I'm seriously considering a purigen reactor or one of those bio nitrate blocks I saw on your post about filtration. I have a rule about not posting till I've had coffee-hope I've had enough this morning for this to make sense but it's a fine line between enough and too much!

Real Name
    Patty

IMG_1574.jpg
    1 more pic...

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Thanks Jenene. I tried to post another pic last night but my I pad was giving me grief. I'll try again.IMG_1579.jpg
    I do have 2 dead spots in the corners and was worried about it. How do you have your powerhead set up to move detritus off the bottom? I had to turn the flow down for my crew because the little ones kept getting sucked into the overflow. I still had dead spots with full flow. I put in a black mesh over it(the overflow) yesterday (gutter guard) . It was such a pain to get them out of the corner flow! It is nearly impossible to clean that overflow corner. I'll need a tool for sure. I have another question. How do you clean your sump? That miracle mud is so fine and quickly displaces anytime I try to clean and that's with the pumps off! I'm seriously considering a purigen reactor or one of those bio nitrate blocks I saw on your post about filtration. I have a rule about not posting till I've had coffee-hope I've had enough this morning for this to make sense but it's a fine line between enough and too much!
    I put the power head on the opposite side from the corner flow about 1/3 of the way up from the floor. This way if I have floating black worms when they are feeding I can just shift it up and blow the stuff around to get eaten. They go crazy like they think they are alive. I hate looking at it but without it I would get a fine dust on the bottom that drove me crazy and it took a long time to vacuum. The filter doesn't pick up the heavy stuff but it blows around in a nice neat spot where I can just stick the vacuum or siphon in and done. It also keeps stuff from accumulating under the wood. I just unplug it when I first feed them and give them time to pick around. The flow isn't wide spread enough to bother them. Still lots of gentle places for them to hang out.
    As far as the mud is concerned I am done with it. I am going to order the bio plates. I think the refugium will be perfect for it. The water has already been pre-filtered and is very slow moving through there. I will keep all my other bio media and am considering a Purigen reactor down the road. I can keep my Java moss and just let it float- another good suggestion from a member. When I clean out my sump I use a bucket head vacuum. Here is a link. They are really cheap and very useful. Recommended by several other helpful members here.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Har...XOhBoCzHbw_wcB

Again, your set up is gorgeous. The hard work is done enjoy!

Real Name
    Patty

ive been going back and forth about the mud. It is a royal pain during maintenance and that bio plate really looks like a much easier alternative. I'm reading that the purigen reactors are pretty noisy so I'm thinking bio plate too. I guess I'm not done yet-getting there though. Thanks for the tips and input!

Real Name
    Patty

IMG_1584.jpg
    Good bye miracle mess- helloooo bio plate and NO3 brick!

Yay! Looks great! I just sucked my mud out yesterday. The brick will arrive tomorrow! SO much cleaner!

Real Name
    Patty

Those filter socks were clean and the brown is left over dust from the sludge! You'd think with pump off it wouldn't get through the whole system-maybe that's the miracle...the fine dust gets on everything! Still need to get a bucket head cleaner for the little areas my python won't fit. The perfect solution-Thanks Jenene! I was worried about disturbing the biological balance when using plate/brick, but all is well so far. Feels so good seeing a clean sump! ��

Those filter socks were clean and the brown is left over dust from the sludge! You'd think with pump off it wouldn't get through the whole system-maybe that's the miracle...the fine dust gets on everything! Still need to get a bucket head cleaner for the little areas my python won't fit. The perfect solution-Thanks Jenene! I was worried about disturbing the biological balance when using plate/brick, but all is well so far. Feels so good seeing a clean sump! ��
    Wow! I was wondering why they were so brown when the rest of the sump was so clean! You must have had a lot more flow through your refugium than I did. My mud never really escaped. Can't wait for my brick! Glad to hear all is well well with your bio. Did you get the Microbactor as well to see the brick? Enjoy your spotless sump!

Real Name
    Patty

I used seachem stability that I already had and all fish are doing fine. I bought a bucket head so I'll be able to get to those hard to reach places now. Thanks for the info. Nothing better than a clean sump!

I used seachem stability that I already had and all fish are doing fine. I bought a bucket head so I'll be able to get to those hard to reach places now. Thanks for the info. Nothing better than a clean sump!
    So glad to hear all is well Patty. The stability is probably a very similar product. The bottle of Microbactor was big and I have no idea if I will use it.

That bucket head vac is great isn't it. When I got it I warned my husband it is not for cleaning the car- aquarium use only!

My brick is in and my water is so clear. It was really clear before but now it is absolutely invisible. I am really not sure which (or all) of the products I stuck in the sump should get the credit for it. Within the last two weeks I bought a bunch of Eshopps 300 micron filter socks (I was using 200 previously), I added some Poret type (not the real stuff but similar) to the sump, a huge bag of Seachem Matrix, some fresh Purigen and the No3 brick as well as getting rid of the Miracle Mud. So who knows but I am happy and more importantly the fish are happy. Still keeping up the big daily water changes. I am too chicken to test the system with an every other day routine. I don't mind doing it and the fish are still growing.

Enjoy the fish and keep us posted on your beautiful tank!

Real Name
    Patty

I actually like doing WC because of the way my fish act. It's the only time they are calm and relaxed just hanging out and not looking for a hand out. Once the refilling begins the 2 biggest ones (blue diamond and red eagle) have their daily fight, then the blue diamond and blue sapphire swim off together. It's really cute. I still haven't used my bucket head on the sump yet. I'm planning on trying it out this weekend. I want to add a UV sterilizer to my system. I didn't think your water could get any clearer! I haven't seen a pic of your tank recently, but I'm sure I'll see lots of growth when you do post...that's why I've waited, but I think they are growing. I'm so glad you posted that filtration question because I love my brick and plate! I wouldn't have known such a thing existed if not for you!
    Thanks so much
    Patty

I actually like doing WC because of the way my fish act. It's the only time they are calm and relaxed just hanging out and not looking for a hand out. Once the refilling begins the 2 biggest ones (blue diamond and red eagle) have their daily fight, then the blue diamond and blue sapphire swim off together. It's really cute. I still haven't used my bucket head on the sump yet. I'm planning on trying it out this weekend. I want to add a UV sterilizer to my system. I didn't think your water could get any clearer! I haven't seen a pic of your tank recently, but I'm sure I'll see lots of growth when you do post...that's why I've waited, but I think they are growing. I'm so glad you posted that filtration question because I love my brick and plate! I wouldn't have known such a thing existed if not for you!
    Thanks so much
    Patty
    Hi Patty, I just posted some Sunday night but once someone else posts it get tucked into the depths. Here is the link. Just wish I would have vacuumed that little bit of dust on the bottom before the pics. With a BB everything shows. (That sounds wrong doesn't it?) Here is the link.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tter-than-mine!

My next project is to re-cut the tile I had in before the fish came. I took it back out because I was afraid stuff would get caught under it. One of the moderators suggested laying it inside the silicone joints so it lays flat and it should not be a problem. My husband is not patient at tile cutting so I may try it myself. It needs to be just right. It was really pretty though. Very light with a touch of grey swirl looked like the sand I had and took out before the fish came... I just love the ease of vacuuming without sand. Just don't like the sterile look of the BB.

I had a lot of quarrels after putting the two new fish in. Lots of pecking order redo. Funny thing is my tiniest Albino Platinum climbed up the totem pole. He is a brave little guy. Things are settling down now. It is fun to see the sigh of relief when they get clean water. Full bellies and clean "sheets" like tucking children in for the night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast