AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many to reduce aggressive fighting.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Default Re: How many to reduce aggressive fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    The wave maker is adjustable. Either up or down. Is up then the water jet will ripple the surface which adds more area to the surface much like an aerator does. Down will stir up the bottom which gives the filter a better chance at catching that which had settled on the bottom. The wave maker makes a current much like the fish are living a a river. This keeps them somewhat occupied and distracted from fighting and it gives them exercise so they burn more calories. Willie may spot this thread. He uses them in his tanks but I don't know his reasons.
    OK. Good answer. I appreciate that.
    SO, would you say the wave maker is all around better for the Discus and recommended?
    Do a lot of folks here on the forum use them?

V

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vinni Smith View Post
    OK. Good answer. I appreciate that.
    SO, would you say the wave maker is all around better for the Discus and recommended?
    Do a lot of folks here on the forum use them?

V
    Willie may have since changed his mind but he did comment once, maybe 4 years ago, "I find large discus do better in a 75/90 gal tank when there's strong current. I often add a powerhead, by itself or on top of a double stack sponge filter, to these tanks. While beginner books say that most of oxygen diffusion occurs at the surface, I question this statement. Discus in the powerhead tank clearly swim more and eat more vigorously. A friend who only keeps large Africans notice the same in his tank.

We keep large fish in a relatively small tank and extra water movement is usually appreciated. "

Real Name
    Willie

This video of discus in the Amazon shows just how strong the current is in their natural environment and, by extension, how well oxygenated the water must be. Wavemakers or powerheads are appreciated in my adult discus tanks.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    This video of discus in the Amazon shows just how strong the current is in their natural environment and, by extension, how well oxygenated the water must be. Wavemakers or powerheads are appreciated in my adult discus tanks.

Willie
    There is an excellent HD of a large school of discus navigating rapids much like a school of salmon heading for spawning. The discus body shape and muscle strength is designed for fiver swimming.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    There is an excellent HD of a large school of discus navigating rapids much like a school of salmon heading for spawning. The discus body shape and muscle strength is designed for fiver swimming.
    I barely see a fish in this greenish muddy water. You should also add some kind of dust generator to emulate the same environment conditions ;-).

Registered Member

I have seen those low visibility videos and wondered how the fish see anything yet they do manage. The environments that we provide for our discus are pristine compared to their natural habitats many times. But the one thing that we can provide for them is the constant fresh water that the river affords by doing the ritual water changes. For my aquarium I only run the wave maker during the day which allows the fish a night to rest in still water. The breeding tank does not have a wave maker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12