AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOB filter

Real Name
    Sabrina

Default HOB filter

There is something wrong with one of my HOB filters, it does not seem to be working as well as it was. Its hardly breaking the surface of the water at all, where as it was doing so a week ago and even causing bubbles right out into the tank. I have inspected it while its running but cant see anything wrong with it, should i turn it off and take it out and pull everything out of it to see if there is a blockage or something? If its not breaking the surface of the water and its running much slower than normal, that must mean its not filtering the 600 liters an hour it should be, correct? It says in the instructions i should pull the motor apart after 1 month of running and lube it up for best results, but i am not technical with things and I'm afraid i will break it, do i really need to do that at this stage? Any help would be great, thanks

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Default Re: HOB filter

Hi Sabrina, yes you can pull it out and pull off the intake and see if you can get the small wheel to start spinning, if not probably time to get a new one.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi George!

Thank you, where is the intake? Sorry but I'm new to HOB filters!

Do you have a prefilter?

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi Adam, what is a prefilter?

Real Name
    Mervin

Are your sponges clean and not clogged?If they are the cartridge type,they don't last long/block easily.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 03-14-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi Blue,
    Yes they are the cartridge type, i only replaced the sponge/carbon cartridge 12 days ago in this HOB filter, what should i do?

Real Name
    Sabrina

Ok i have pull the whole filter out of the tank, and i have pulled it apart, the 2 intake parts George was talking about were full of gunk! The sponge/carbon cartridge also chock a block full of gunk, i got some tank water to clean that with, also the inside of the HOB was full of slime, i washed that also. I'm now trying to get the intake part back on but I'm having difficult time getting it to attach back onto the motor. here are some photos before i cleaned the items..
    29196401_10214054223202988_2145722415055896576_n.jpg
    29196411_10214054223723001_4219942283287461888_n.jpg
    29196373_10214054223442994_4600082223679406080_n.jpg

Real Name
    Sabrina

The filter is now back in the tank and running at a much faster pace than it was before i cleaned it out, its breaking the water surface and sending bubbles flying into the tank, problem solved! Thank for your help guys

Real Name
    Mervin

Note;Don't clean the surface of the filter too much.BB live there.Do yourself another favour and get rid of those expensive filter cartridges.Sponge filter are cheaper and work better.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 03-15-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi Bule,

I am yet to check my readings on this tank after the filter clean, ive been down with a very bad toothache and might need to get it out today. I am already running a jumbo sponge filter as well as the HOB, even if I was to do away with the HOB, 2 of those jumbo sponge filters wouldn't be enough turn over an hour for my tank volume, I think id have to run 4 of them and my tank would look full of filters. The jumbo sponges only pump 360 liters an hour, I have a 182 liter tank, I read that you should turn over at least 4-5 times your volume an hour, maybe more for discus?

Real Name
    Mervin

If you go with HOB filters try buying the ones with sponges and not cartridges.the sponges rinse out easily and maintenance is quick.Something like these.https://www.google.ca/search?q=ac110...w=1920&bih=949

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi Blue,
    Bare with me here ive just had a tooth pulled out and I'm in pain.
    I brought a canister filter an hour ago, I really hope its ok. I took a photo. My local pet store sold it to me for $140... Is it a good one? I have no idea how to set it up and the instructions are hard to grasp. Do I fill the canister with water first? I'm so confused.
    Or, do I stop the HOB filter first, then let the tank water drain into the canister? I assume it will take some water from the tank and I will need a couple of buckets of water ready to refill the tank? Sigh, I wish I was technical minded.
    29249616_10214068906010049_6647167545096798208_o.jpg

Real Name
    Sabrina

I forgot to mention my tank is 182 liter (48 gallons). The flow rate on that canister is 1200 liters an hour, that's 6.5 times the volume of my tank an hour. I hope this is ok, I went to extra lengths to get that canister today.

Real Name
    Mervin

Wait for it to get seeded and leave all the filters in your tank a few weeks before removing any.I use ceramic balls and matrix for media,but if you want other things can be used like dollar store scrubbies.One thing about the flow rate of filters.That would be the rate with water alone and no media or sponges in the filter.So,many of them are over rated for the amount of water passing threw.I have never seen that band.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast